Welcome to the forum

Rapha Cent Cols Challenge - Alps 2012

2»

Comments

• edited September 2012
    Stage 9 : Vassieux-en-Vercors to Montmelian
    Stats: 210km, 20kmh, 4849m ascent, max alt. 1400m
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/216187017

Main cols: La Chau (1400m), Gaudissart (1040m), Pra l'Etang (1250m), La Clusaz (1180m), Granier (1100m)

How to sum up today's stage? A very tough stage (nope I've said that before...), toughest of them all (nope I've said that before...), a suffer-fest (nope...), another hard day (nope...), a very long day (nope...), got completely beasted (nope...), another long, long day (nope I've said that before...).... err... rode 210km / 4850m ascent with dead legs - enough said.

I didn't manage to recover very well from yesterday's big ride, but the show must go on. So it was a pretty painful ride today. The heat had finally gone and was replaced by cool, clammy humidity - the stuff that gets you sweating and cold at the same time. It made for an uncomfortable climb of Gaudissart (Col de la Machine) mid-morning. The scenery at the top was special - vertical cliffs, a canyon and the road winding around a cliff ledge and through tunnels almost hanging over the edge! Coming off the Col de Romeyere (after Pra l'Etang) we went through a totally pitch black tunnel of around 700m. Needed good front lights to see anything and the tunnel sloped downwards at about 4%. It was very strange. The afternoon was a grind, despite me knocking back half-a-dozen gels, but I'd ride the whole stage again for the glorious descent from the Col de Granier - 9km of high-speed nirvana.

Only one more day to go. Am I glad? You better believe it.
  • edited September 2012
    Stage 10 : Montmelian to Annecy
    Stats: 134km, 18kmh, 3402m ascent, max alt. 1650m
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/216445871

Main cols: Marocaz (930m), Plaimpalais (1115m), Mont Revard (1470m), Chatillon/Semnoz (1650m)

The tenth and final stage of this epic bike ride! Still four main climbs to do. Some of us decided to take the day gently and formed an autobus at the back! We rode most of the climbs at 8-10kmh, so nice and easy. It was a lovely day to ride slowly in the mountains, chat about what we'd achieved and generally have a laugh. We officially finished on the top of today's highpoint the Cret de Chatillon/Semnoz at 1650m just above Annecy. We had a finish line, banners and all our names were painted on the road!!

Totalling up, I've ridden 1,828 km over ten days, with 39,681 m of climbing over 109 named cols in the Alps. I'm chuffed to have finished this ride in one piece. Apart from a little bit of sickness on day 2, I didn't have any aches or pains the whole way. I am very tired, not surprisingly perhaps.

I'd certainly recommend this trip to anyone who loves the mountains and needs that special challenge in their life! Warning though, this is one of the toughest organised bike rides in Europe, so make sure you train hard for it and prepare yourself for a lot of suffering!

Shaun
  • Congratulations Shaun!

Daniel
  • Cest magnifique! Well done you
  • I've really enjoyed the dispatches Shaun - top one! I bet the champoo tastes good tonight.

How did others fare? Did you all make it?
  • Well done Shaun - fantastic. Your challenge tonight is to find the Annecy equivalent of the Dounreay Social Club...
  • Well done fella! Epic.
  • Well done you, a most thoroughly deserved victory. Breathtaking stuff, and a most wonderful account of such a special ride. From now on those Sunday club rides will all seem a little mundane and FLAT!
  • shaun

what took you so long !!!!!.

well done polka dot jersey for you mate.

see you soon

strappy.
  • Big Congratulations - what an achievement!
  • Some photos put together by Mark, another CCC rider.

View Album

Play Slideshow