Welcome to the forum

Historic Catford Hill Climb

edited September 2012 in Time Trial
Fancy riding a piece of cycling history?....please see below an invitation to ride the 117th edition of the race!!

Dear Club Secretaries,

On behalf of the Catford Cycling Club, we are promoting the 117th Open Hill Climb on Yorks Hill near Sevenoaks on Sunday 14th October 2012, 10am start time.

I would be extremely grateful if you can please inform riders in your club who wishes to enter the event to send to me their CTT entry form (available on the CTT or Catford CC websites) plus a cheque for £9 made payable to the 'Catford Cycling Club' to arrive no later than 6th October.

If you or riders in your club have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me (email: leluong4@hotmail.co.uk; mobile: 07500737473).

Many thanks.

Best regards,

Le Anh Luong (Catford CC Hill Climb secretary)

Flat 7 Longford House
Brangbourne Road
Bromley
Kent
BR1 4LW 

Comments

• Cheers Tim, that makes it a three climb challenge with the Club and Inter the weeks before, and they would be great training for this monster.
  • I've done this climb before and its an absolute beast. I would really recommend racing up it.
  • Signed up.

They have a team competition, need a minimum of 3 riders!
  • It's a great event to ride - for 40 meters near the top it's like being in the Tour. Cheers - andy s
  • Start list is up, 150 entrants, wow! I also appear to be not only the one representative from Hertfordshire but from anywhere in the home counties.

I will be happy with a top 75 finish, helped by the fact i luckily have an early start time.
  • What a Hill Climb, absolutely brilliant. Amazing atmosphere. Every club cyclist should try this once.

I unfortunately didn't post an amazingly quick time, and rather like the Inter climb I was agonisingly outside a 2 minute time. But judging that some couldn't get through the end, I was just pleased to survive! I am hooked and will be there next year.

Mark also sorted me out with a CCA jersey so i'll post the link to my pics when they're up.
  • Looking forward to any pictures. Well done Chris an amazing and historic event to ride, one of the oldest, if not the oldest bike race in the world?

Ask Max about it, won it, what 8 or 9 times?
  • Well done, Chris

If you do it next year, I'm tempted to come too. (And yes, I know I've got some work to put in before then - always good to have a goal)
  • edited October 2012
    Yes Tim the oldest continually run cycle event in the world, 117th Year. Started in 1887 and has only missed two years since then.

Max won it 8 times and was 3 times runner up. In the 1930's Ernie Hussey won it 9 times consecutively. What i have just noticed from reading the programme, and is amazing considering the advancement in bike technology, if his time from 1935 would have won him this year's race by 1.4 seconds. A steel fixie would still do the trick today it seems.

I've found these two sets of photo's so far which i'm on:

One
    Two

And this Video

Jane, i will definitely be going and i will probably also do the Bec Hill Climb which is run afterwards. It would be great to get more club members involved. This is a great Video to give you an idea from a cycling perspective.
  • OMG :)

Great pics ... there should be a prize for gurning too
  • I made it onto a Video! At 2:09

I look very slow! Will work on that for next year.