Welcome to the forum

Saturday 15th 60-65mile @16ish

edited September 2012 in Club runs
Some of the guys on last saturdays 49 mile lumps bumps ride mentioned getting out for a slightly longer ride next time round.
If anyone's interested in a longer one this saturday,and is up for an 8.30 start at the Tuns, let me know. A flatter route than last
week heading round cambridge maybe. Looks like another sunny one although alot cooler.

Paul

Comments

• Definitely, see you there.

Will it loop clockwise so heading back to Ashwell near Shepreth/Meldreth/Fowlmere etc? If so I'll cycle over to Ashwell and take a shortcut home.
  • Hi Pearce

That's fine with me. I put a ride together for last saturdays ride, so if you've got a route up your sleeve stick it on here.

You could list it on http://www.bikemap.net/route/create so we can have a look at it.

Paul
  • HI Pearce

One other thing, last week I did email DavidJ the route 1st just to check it was ok with him.

david@ccashwell.com
  • 2 different posts saying similar things, this is a bit confusing now! Is this the '8am medium 70ish miles' group Robbie is organising? Is it the club run? Or one between the two? :)
  • Robbies post is for 22nd september. This post is for those that went on the 49mile last saturday , strappy and anyone else who fancys something a little longer than the normal
    saturday club ride.

Now i'm confused !
  • Folks, just bear in mind that the main reason for having a fixed meeting place and fixed, traditional meeting times is to try and avoid this sort of confusion.

It is of course great for anyone to post a ride of any duration/ speed outside these times and people should feel free to do so, but too much of it ultimately leads to chaos and no one knowing what is happening.
  • Good Call Tim.....Also, always try to reply on an existing thread rather than start a NEW one so often. It makes the forum more confused if everyone is banging off new threads when a little reading down the board finds the right one.

Also remember the mornings will be getting darker and colder so a 9am or 9.30am start is preferable as winter draws in. That's why these times are pretty well establoished from long experience of early morning frosts and sometimes ice.
  • A number of people want to do a longer pacey Saturday ride, hence the number of threads.

Robbie's thread was relating to the following Saturday (22nd) and every Saturday thereafter, that should be the default regular longer ride to avoid future confusion. He says 8am start.
    Because of that this thread relating to the same kind of ride is a one-off. 8.30am start.
    And the standard Saturday run will continue as normal at 9.30am.
    Two rides, two different times, easy!

Regarding this ride, i've got click happy and come up with this if this is any good for anyone?

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/fullscreen/135878661/. Included a pacey end past Tadlow and sprint finish down Northfields, but this can be cut out and go straight from Bassingbourn to Ashwell to save 5 miles. So 70 or 65 miles. And i had to stick in Croydon Hill as part of my Hill Climb training!
  • Sorry if i caused some confusion or controversy at the start of this thread, but Mr Pearce's response summerises
    the original plan.

Anyway i like the look of that route, see you on Saturday 15th, 8.30am at the Tun's.

Ice and bad light shouldn't be a problem this week !
  • Eventful sums it up. Paul & Nathan, hope you're both ok and there is no severe damage to the bikes. Drivers yet again causing problems.

Apologies all for navigation problems and bottle clumsiness, will quite gladly pass all responsibilities to Robbie!

And thanks Sean for spotting my school boy error.
  • Made it back ok. Shortly after i left you guys i caught up with the 9.30 group , so rolled back with them useing a very limited range of gears with them clanking most of the way.
    Had a look at a few forums on carbon frame damage and it appears Giant have a 5 year warranty on frames , so will go down that route first. The other option is a frame repair,
    which to my surprise there seems to be alot of company's out there doing. I guess as the number of carbon frames on the road increases, so does the demand for the repairs
    of them. One guy i spoke to told me that alot of frames are damaged just from being clamped to bike racks or carriers on the roof or rear of cars, which was a surprise to me.

I will put an update on the forum when a get some news.
  • paul

glad you got back ok , we passed the other group too a bit faster than you no doubt.

Shame about the crash causing so much damage to the bikes.

All the same was a good ride for the rest of us finished on 70 @ 18.4 so we wern't hanging around i did
    slow up when i left phil,james etc at gamlingay as i was head on into the wind .

be back to my normal sunday next week.

strappy.
  • I was enjoying the ride up until the incident. Sad about your frame, Paul. I hope you get it sorted out to your satisfaction.
  • Can you let me know what happened?
  • I've whispered you some details, Tim. Perhaps the others could do the same?
  • Thanks for the update chaps. Very sorry to hear about the bike. A couple of tips.....

Never assume that because a driver is indicating/ isn't indicating, you or indeed they have any idea where they are going.

Never assume that you have been seen even if you are wearing a mobile disco and the driver is looking straight at you.

Always assume everyone is trying to kill you.

And a reminder that contacting another rider is something we will be practicing on saturday morning, see sticky.