Welcome to the forum

Club Run review - Sunday 19th April 2009

Two big groups today. Middle/Fast of about 14 went for Grafham Water. Winding loops around Old Warden and Cardington against a stiff wind from the north east. Eventually thru Great Barford and the usual, very quiet rolling hills to Grafham Water itself.

Then, the turn south, seeing a few sustained sections of 30mph+! Snaking between the rapeseed fields to the Gransdens. Eventually, the pace wore in and the Fastys powered on around Hatley St George. Us Middlers rotated thereafter, increasing our average but never catching up. In the end, with the extra zagging around Old Warden, 70 miles at 18.7mph average, getting back at 1.15pm on the bell. The faster guys another notch up on that. 2 punctures, good banter, good helping out.

Comments

• I had a little sleep on the sofa in the afternoon...................
  • Club Run had c 20 riders! I clocked 42 miles at 17.5 mph av speed, not bad at all! Someone else will have to add the route as per normal I can't remember! but I do know we stopped at Toft at the half way point. arrived at pub @ 11:40
  • well done everyone....that club ride sounds fast now and I'm sure we will have a chat about splitting the groups this Friday.....remember the AGM guys...........I reckon you had nearer 24 in your ride Tim and we collected 2 to make our ride 16, akthough Max dropped off...a tendon problem or something..........

Maybe 8-10 club riders could step up to make a longer MIDDLE group ride at much the same pace but by increasing the distance would create a group that would bridge the gap between the faster ones and the main club.

What do we do about new riders not quite up to the 17.5 average you are now doing??

Anyone want to run a slightly slower run at 15-16mph???? That is the clubs next problem...volunteers???
  • my averages will be slightly scewed as Pete and Alec helped me with a tyre problem and the group carried on. we were about 5 mins down and worked well together to get back on. but it it took 15 odd mins of time trialling to do so, therefore I guess that will have shifted our average up somewhat.

Did anybody else record the average speeds?

However, I agree that there is a defiante middle group in there (I was on strict time restraints from the Boss hence my need for a shorter ride !!)

had a great sprint at the end as well, John & Josh leading out, Tony P came through from the back of the peleton at the end only to be pipped by yours truly at the sign :-) all great fun!
  • definite as opposed to defiante!
  • I like the idea of a definite defiant group.....come on guys......no volunteers for a slower ride ??.......how about some others volunteering on a rota basis to take a slower ride...it would then mean only once every 6-8 weeks you would have to ride slower and then back to normal........if you share the load it should work out...it is always best to have a stronger rider lead the slower group as they have more in reserve to cope with helping back........also they should be more experienced in holding a steady pace..........just some thoughts..any advance??

For my part I would be prepared to share the load of a middle group, but at present am "enjoying" trying to stay the distance and speed of the mid/fast bunch.........I sooooo don't want to fall off the back in the last 10-15 miles.....it's that step up to 60-70 miles that takes the last of the energy store.........oh, plus those hills....more flat routes please....Gransden was great..was the first time I've done that route and "liked " it.
  • Yes - put my name in the hat for a middle group rota. Once we've got 6-8 names - we could do a rota like how Tim D did the Time Trial Doodle chart?