Welcome to the forum

RAID PYRENEAN REPORT

edited October 2012 in Sportives
I know some of you know about this event already but I rode it a few weeks back and have to say it was one of the highlights of my cycling life!!

There are some variations but the route goes from the Atlantic coast Hendaye (just on French/Spannish border) to Cerbere on the Med (again just in France) taking in 18 cols including Aubisque,Tourmalet,Peyresourde,Aspin,Puymorens..it goes on..check it out on line...

It is different to a Sportive as such as the course is open from June to end of Sep and anyone can do the route between that time.Although you see other riders from time to time this means you could be going over the Tourmalet all alone as opposed to thousands of other riders ... there were 6 of us and a guide and a support vehicle..Rob and his dad Russ...Rob lives on Tourmalet and is brilliant..they organise everything ..transfers..hotels etc..

You have to get your card stamped at various points and complete the 450 miles in 100 hours...there is 36,000 feet of climbing...I did a bit more as I went off course briefly and actual ride time was about 29 hours...averaged just over 16's without completely killing myself..as some of you know you have to really pace your self on these long climbs especially as you have to get up and do it again the next day!

I am pleased to say that my body somehow coped with it and I felt better with each day..when I was home after a couple of days I suddenly felt completely exhausted and it took me a full 2 weeks to recover and regain any speed..

I have some amazing snap-shots in my memories that I am sure I will keep for ever...Descending Col D'Aspin at dusk..beautiful..being all alone at the top of Tourmalet..dramatic!..flying through completely deserted ski resort La Mongie in pouring rain ,suddenly saw a row of about 20 ponies coming the other way...wierd!! 40km descent off the Puymorens .. got too 56 mph..orgasmic!! ...as one of my friends said "HOW MUCH MORE FUN CAN YOU HAVE IN LYCRA?!'

All this with some nice meals and wines in the evenings and good company and a good laugh..

Anyway I could go on..SO...obviously you need to be fit but DO IT...you'll never forget it!

Rob at www.pyreneescycling.co.uk says they can do up to 24 but that would need planning now..smaller groups need less time to plan