Welcome to the forum

Pedals & shoes - recommendations please...

edited October 2012 in General
Ok – so No1. son’s been badly bitten by the cycling bug this summer. I think it was bound to happen, what with all the fantastic events / training made available to him at CC Ashwell.

New bike is on order, yes afraid it’s going to be another red Islabike for the Weds evening cyclocross training sessions!

Pedals - he’s keen to have a go at clipless – any particular types I should be considering? Double sided spd seems logical to me? Also, to go with the pedals he’s going to need shoes - any suggestions/recommendations for a Xmas list? (he’s a size 4).

Cheers,
Steve

Comments

• Steve,

I recommend these double-sided Shimano pedals at a bargain £18 per pair including shoe plates: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=3759. Stating the obvious probably, but kids have less twisting leverage and less strength than adults so set the spring tension to absolute minimum to ensure they can clip out when needed and so they don't strain knees or ankles doing so.

As for shoes: size 4 is approx Euro 36/37 I think, and this gets you into smaller sizes of adult shoes (especially those marketed for women) so you have reasonable choice. As Adam rides & races off-road try to get something with plenty of grip and plenty of clear space around the shoe-plate so that it will be less likely to clog with mud. Other than that, just try to pay as little as possible because they're outgrown so quickly...! Last year's models are always a good bet: you won't find cheaper than this, for example: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=82559

Mark F
  • Ah, excellent christmas list suggestions. I know Theo likes his eggbeaters but maybe not suitable for the littluns? Most seem to use spd's.
  • Hi Steve

We have spare spd's which were given to club...perhaps Tim can sort a pair from the container.....also a pair of small cycling shoes donated to club in the red case also in container.....not sure of size but worth a look.....just a thought
  • Eggbeaters are great for shedding mud but they have no tension adjustment, so they're a bit too fierce for most U12s, I'd say. In fact Anna tried Eggbeaters last winter but she couldn't reliably release from them when approaching hurdles, so she went back to SPDs. I'm sure the spring loosens up with enough use though.
  • one thing I noticed with eggbeaters.....had to do first aid for someone who had slipped when trying to clip in and gashed his leg badly...never really liked them after that.
  • edited October 2012
    If you file down the cleat edges for Egg Beaters or Candys you will find clipping in / out is child's play.
    It's akin to them having been fully broken in.
    I have a worn set somewhere if the lad wants to try them on his shoes.
    Pedals too. Just let me know.
    tim.fisher93@yahoo.co.uk
  • I agree with spd's to start off with
  • edited October 2012
    Candys are semi platform pedal and basically an eggbeater with the platform around them. Never had them block up on me but havent ridden them cross stylee. So they are a good pedal to get your feet on and then clip in. With spd there isn't a great deal to engage with and may be a bit fiddly to start off with.