Welcome to the forum

Thursday evening coaching

edited May 2009 in Youth
Hi,

Geoff and I have been working on the format for Thursday evening sessions. Don't forget they start this Thursday 7th May at 5.30pm. Don't worry if you can't get there by 5.30pm, they go on until 7.30pm.

We are going to try having 3 distinct groups. Group 1 will be novices who want to practice some of the basics such as braking, gear changing, taking hands off the bars etc. Group 2 will be those who are keen to try some racing skills. We will use a short grass circuit for this. Bring your own bikes for this session, any MTB or road bike with gears/freewheel will be fine as long as it is road worthy. This group will concentrate on learning to ride track events and the skills that go with them. Group 3 will be the keen racing squad. Most of the sessions will be on grass track bikes. However sometimes group 2 will be allowed to try out the grass track bikes. On those evenings the racing group will have to use freewheel bikes. So bring your own bike even if you normally use a grass track bike. Group 3 will focus on developing their racing skills and fitness.

In addition I will be (and hopefully Max as well) providing weekly advice and feedback to group 3 on training and racing. Richard has made an excellent start in identifying races for club members and providing getting started tips. We will work on extending this further. Therefore 20 minutes or so of each session for Group 3 will be sitting down discussing a topic. The Week 1 topic is 'What training can I do during a week?'. We will discuss how you can train, fitting it in round school work and other sports and what sort of training you should be doing.

I will collect an email list for Group 3 and send additional information, race calendars etc. Riders in this group will be welcome to send me training diaries for comments. Email me if you want to be added to the Group 3 mailing list.

Please contact Geoff if you want advice about which group you should be in.

See you Thursday,
Mark.

Comments

• Hi,

Further to the chatting session last Thursday about training.

Don't forget to keep working on your track stands. We will see what your progress is like in a couple of weeks.

If you want me to comment on your training or give you some ideas of what training to do then email me.

See you Thursday,
    Mark.
  • Go-Ride Coaching during August and into the Winter..

This week 6th August we have two coaches…Myself and Mark Read.We also have the invaluable assistance of Max, Andy(I hope),Richard,and Tim, with setting out
    help from Leo, Josh, Ollie and Jack.
    We should manage o.k. as there are many on hols.
    Next week 13th all coaches except me are on holiday so I will need all the assistance I can get. If we still have many away then all should be fine. However, I will ask Nigel and Alison if there is any help available for coaching.
    The following week 20th I am doing my 6 day ride for male cancer awareness so will NOT be there to coach or oversee. Phil Adams and Mark Wyer should be back then to take control ably assisted as usual.
    The 27th should see us back to normal. This is the last Session before Mildenhall Grass Track on Saturday 29th August.
    I have entry forms so could ALL likely riders sign up please and let me know over the next 2 weeks who is riding.
    This is our last grass track competition this season so lets really make it a good representative one with a strong club presence.
    Thursday Go-Ride will continue until the end of September
    Go-Ride CCA club membership is now FULL…….we will need a waiting list to join. We can cope with one or two newcomers to try, but unfortunately unless some drop out we are at Maximum with our coaching levels.
    Tim Duckett is next to train in september followed next year by Andy Irons. This should allow some expansion next year and allow us to run our winter off-road and road sessions on Saturday mornings again from October through until April. Track sessions at Welwyn will then start again for new riders and those who have yet to test themselves on a different surface.

I hope this is clear and look forward to an even more successful end to 2009.

Cheers

Geoff