Welcome to the forum

Sunday May 3

Well I was going to write a light hearted account of the Nasty run, but I have just learnt that the delay we saw on the A1 at Buckden was the result of fatality of a cyclist competing in the Icknield Road TT. So out of respect to those involved I will simply report we rode to Grafham Water.
As cyclists we do what we do knowing the dangers, but at times like this we are reminded of how fragile we are. My thoughts are with the Rhys-Evans family (I don’t know them) and also Icknield RC.
The following comes from the BBC news website; 'Off-duty army major Gareth Rhys-Evans, 38, was involved in a collision with a car near Eaton Ford at about 0835 BST.
Maj Rhys-Evans, an army cycling union member, was taking part in the Icknield Road Club 25-mile time trial which began in Bedfordshire.'

Comments

• our ride passed over a bridge where we saw the buckled bike frame and about 60 metres beyond a cycle helmet and what appeared to be blood....we didn't stop but it was a sad and salutory reminder and like you Daniel my thoughts go to his family.....However, I really think it is well past time to end the A1 as a time trial road.........some riders are in the middle of a lane trying to benefit from the slipstream effect and this only riles further the aggressive nature of some drivers.
    You only have to note the number of idiot drivers who try to scrape us off our bikes on an innocuous ride in a country lane to realise that on a 2-3 lane major road where they are averaging 70's someone will cause a fatality.