Welcome to the forum

Etape du Dales, May 19

edited January 2013 in Sportives
Arguably the best sportive. The film made of last year's event was part of the 'Visit Yorkshire' campaign to woo ASO to start the 2014 Tour here.

The event takes place on May 19th this year. Note this is the same day as the CCA promoted Prima Vera.

Normally it sells out pretty quickly, entries open in the second week in January. Website HERE

Daniel

Comments

• Entries for the Etape du Dales open on Monday January 21st at 19:00
  • Entries now open. Book via the British Cycling site or www.daveraynerfund.co.uk

I'm in!

Booked a room at Skipton Travel Lodge.

Anyone else coming?

Daniel
  • edited May 2013
    2009 was a good year for me, and I even managed to get into the Silver standard for the Etape du Dales. Since then I have been chasing that gleaming time and missing it. I felt reasonably good this year and had resolved to go as hard as possible in the first half so as not to miss the elusive silver. With my target times sellotaped to my handlebar stem I set off into the cool morning.

The course breaks down into 5 sectors (4 feedstations). At the first (Hawes) I was 6 minutes down. Worrisome indeed but no reason to throw in the towel. By Tan Hill I was 10 minutes adrift. Whilst it now looked very unlikely I would meet my target I had climbed Tan Hill without the customary gale force head wind. I pushed on eating one the famous comedy sandwiches as I did (most of the contents ended up on my glove and the sheep got the rest!) I reached the Moorcock Inn only 7 minutes down, so couldn’t give up. The next climb is the Coal Road, two sections of 1:4 leads one to the base of another climb! At the final feedstop I was 3 minutes ahead of schedule. Thus the final push down Littondale and Wharfdale was a case of pushing as hard as I could. A fine train headed by a Verulam rider thundered past, but my legs lit up with some much cramp and pain I simply couldn’t couple on the end when I tried. So I finished 15 minutes ahead of my 2009 time and convincingly within the silver bracket.

I celebrated in the convivial club atmosphere of Wharfdale Rugby Club with a hot pork pie, gravy , mushy peas and a mug of tea; what better way?

I know it is only a sportive but it is, in my opinion, only the best sportive. The route is glorious is terms of terrain and challenge. The hills are of course the special feature, but the descents are as hard as the ascents. The weather is always a key factor and this year it was fantastic (as it was last year) and in actual fact the low wind was the real reason I improved my time.

Looking forward to the Tour t’Dales even more now!

Daniel
  • Nice one Daniel. Sounds like Sunday was a v gd day for the Doncasters

PS I'll be following you on Tour t'Dales then
  • daniel

I take back all i said about you your as hard as nails, not like me a real softie glad the weather was good for you.

If had of came with you we would have been behind the snow plough trying to get to the top of tan hill.

well done.

you might tempt me if we ever get a heat wave on the 19 may.
  • Hot pork pie and mushy peas!....im in for next year
  • dont forget the gravy... well done Daniel, agree the scenery and climbing around there is amazing.. wish I could make the cca tour d'dales..