Welcome to the forum

Suffolk Sunrise 12th May

edited January 2013 in Sportives
I'm entering this one - 20% off entry fee till end of January and it's a great ride with top food stops!

Suffolk Sunrise

Anyone else interested?

Comments

• This is a great ride, really enjoyed the last 2 years. good route, well organised, and great food stops.
    will check the diary, think already got something on that weekend
  • I'm in.
    John
  • Karen and I have entered

Peter
  • Just bringing this back to the top... Is anybody else entering this? I'm thinking about the long one, but it's an early start... 7.15 I think...
  • I'm on the long route Will - last year registration was 06.30 - 09.00, not sure what the arrangements are for this year.
  • edited May 2013
    So entry pack should now be in your mailbox and signing on time for the 102 mile route is 6.30-7.45

Who's coming on this ride and is everyone doing the longer route?

Would like to ride with other CCA riders if possible - what about meeting at 7.15 after sign-on?
  • Sounds like a lovely ride, but I'm working late the night before and the long ride is an early one... Especially when you have to get over there. Sportives ain't cheap either, are they? 28 quid online and 50 on the day? Blimey...
  • Having never ridden one, are they all that expensive?
    Did think think this would perhaps be my 1st but balked at costs at the rigistration phase.
    Is it because it is for a charity?
    Not ridden beyond a club run of 46 miles this year either - maybe a case of aspirations outstripping ability ( not for the first time).
  • yes its partly because its for charity, and they also lay on amazing food - the food stops are like a wedding buffett...
    its also well organised at the start/finish and the route is clearly marked

sportives vary in price alot, but as they have been very popular in the last 3 or 4 years, with the growth in cycling generally, the good ones can and do charge a lot.

there are much cheaper options out there but you get what you pay for - the cheaper ones have less facilities at start/finish, poor or no food stops , and the route marking can be dodgy

cheapest are audax's if you are not bothered about all the frills and are happy to navigate yourself - which is much easier these days with garmins etc
  • Peter & Karen - are you riding the 100?

7.15 is when I plan to set off but I'm happy to move start time if it means riding with some others.

johnR I guess you aren't riding - did you get a refund or is someone else taking your place?

Anyone else riding this?
  • Hi Andrew

We are doing the 68 mile route setting off at 8 am. There will be 3 of us. Happy for you to join us if you want.

If you are out tomorrow I will see you then.

Cheers

Peter
  • Off to Nottingham tomorrow to buy a boat...

As I'm doing the 100 I want to start a bit earlier so think I will just see who I can hook up with at the start - I know some Suffolk locals who are going to be riding this fast so I'll probably hang on to them as long as I can - may see you at the end - make the most of the fantastic lunch stop.

Cheers

Andrew
  • We (me, Karen and Bob S) completed the 68 miles at steady club run pace. Only one puncture (which happlily was fixed at the lunch stop) and one broken STI shifter (don't know how Karen managed that) which we eventually fixed out on the road.

The route was good, well marked and some nice roads. Refreshment stops were good, lunch was top! The sun briefly popped out and the rain held off.

That was my wife's longest ride which she was very pleased about. Maybe the 100 next year!

Cheers
    Peter
  • edited May 2013
    Great day for me too - I did meet up with some friendly locals and as a bonus managed to sort out accommodation for the Dragon as one of the group had overbooked at the Premier Inn so bonus!

Finished with a riding pace of 18.5 but with the long lunch stop (delicious), a cake stop and some remarkable puncture faffing added an hour to finish on 6.28 and 15.7mph.