Welcome to the forum

CCA HARD RIDERS TT 24th March

edited February 2013 in Time Trial
Early warning for the first club TT, the hardriders, to be Sunday 24th March.

2 laps of the 10 circuit. First rider off at 9.30, signing on at the Tuns at 9.00.

Hopefully the weather will be kinder than last years cancelled fog fest!

Comments

• Its in the Diary!!!
  • Tim,
    would it be ok for Harley and me to do this one?

Shelton
  • Never done one before... I'll have a crack at it! 20 miles? How hard can it be....
  • Anyone got a pair of wheels?
  • I'm still shivering from last year
  • Do you have to be particularly fast, or can you just ride it? (I don't think I've ever done the loop)
  • For those that don't know the loop - here's the Club 10 mile TT route;

http://www.bikemap.net/route/1611801
  • The Hardriders is for every Club member - an early chance to put a number on yer back.
  • I'm making this my first TT of the season, bring it on. The times look good from last year, this is a little later so could be faster.
  • Shelton, no problem, of course you can ride and Nat,there is no qualifying speed it's open to all.
  • As a little warm up to this does anyone fancy doing the Hitchin Nomads Hilly on the 9th March? An 18 mile course to the west of Stevenage/Knebworth. I will be there as long as the weather is not awful.

Details here, and link to the course maps at the bottom:
  • may well dust down the old steed and see how bad I really am!
  • Will be great to see you there mate!!
  • Cheers Dude... the Mojo is coming back.... now I'm sober anyway ;-)
  • Here's hoping the weather holds out this year then ;-)
  • As per my post above I got my season underway with the HNCC Hilly. Great little course, some good long drags and sharp climbs. A shame it isn't more well supported as, bar the North Road Hardriders, it's a decent local season opener.
    Decided to ditch the tri bars on the recce, they are heavy and i felt so slow on the climbs, just not suited to a hilly course. Will have cost me on the descents though. Disappointed i didn't even get into the 19's as an average, 18.99! Some TeamSalesEngine guys were there in their full TT kit so i obviously was going to be nowhere near them, they shot past me on the descents.
    Anyway i did it just because i was itching to get racing, my bike was nowhere near up for it, it's needs a once over at Trisports, my wheels are awful so got new aero wheels to stick on and needs some chain adjustment, was rubbing. Will all be ready for the 24th :)

Just a note for all the guys who have posted above who have never ridden the course before, or perhaps have on a club ride but not in anger, i recommend giving it a recce as there are some rough bits of road which you would want to know about beforehand, rather than not knowing and trying to avoid at race pace. I haven't been on it for a few weeks so will be giving the once over the day before, pot holes seem to be springing up all over the place.
  • We nipped around it on the club run yesterday morning... Very rough patch of road going into guilden morden, then on the corner after the left turn out of the other side of the village... Few biggish pot holes on your left. Other than that, the resurfacing of the S bend on the road after the next left turn is great, then mud all the way back to ashwell after the last left. Really looking forward to riding it in anger on the 24th... It'll be my first TT! If anybody has some clip on extensions I could borrow, I'd be most grateful...
  • Chris, well done for riding the HNCC hilly, as you say...a good little opener.

Thanks for the pothole tips WT. I will have a ride round next week before the event too. The only thing i would add is to remember the left hand bend that we dont use on the 10, ie at the end of Northfields Road. Its sharp and usually gravelly and difficult at speed.
  • OK, Instructions for sunday.....

Im away this weekend so you are all in the capable hands of David J. First of all David needs a pusher offer and possibly a helper for timekeeping, (probably the same person). A couple of marshals would also be usefull, 1 on the Wrestlingworth cross roads, maybe 1 on the Ashwell corner.

Signing on will be at the Tuns from 9.00. first rider off 9.30 ish. Demand will be high we have had lots of interest ( possibly depending on the weather) and there is a 30 rider limit. First come first served! Cost is £3 per rider.

The course starts in the usual layby just past the Garage, straight through Guilden to Wrestlingworth crossroads, left down through the s bends on the lovely new, smooth tarmac, through Eyeworth, left down Northfields road past the finish, at the Bluegates turn, left at the end of Northfields and round again. Total distance is about 20.5 miles.

Good,....so some general do and dont reminders.

At the start if you are waiting, please keep off the road and in the layby. The only rider in the road should be the starting rider. the start is on a blind hill and riders spilling into the road creates danger. If you have more than 4 or 5 minutes until your start go and warm up!!

At the finish, DO NOT bother the timekeeper for your time, warm down and then congregate on the concrete pad or the grass triangle, but GET OUT OF THE ROAD. Riders will be finishing at speed and riders milling about in the road is not helpful.

if its a strong southerly wind, do not exceed 30 mph in Guilden ( i realise this may not apply to all) and be polite to the locals even if they are pottering along at 20 mph.

Generally, remember that you have to follow the same rules of the road as everyone else, ie giving way if you have to, stopping at junctions if you have to etc.

Keep your HEAD UP and stay safe.

Have a good ride folks, hope its better than last year!
  • I've had 5 or 6 rides with the club recently and will have my membership form in the post tomorrow, am I still able to ride this on Sunday?

Luke
  • If the forms in the post you are good to go!
  • Much appreciated, I'm looking forward to it!
  • Hi likewise, my form is in the post and I plan on turning up on Sunday. See you there!
  • Does the membership year run from Jan - Jan or Apr - Apr?? If its April, will I have to re-submit for membership in 10 days as well?
  • April to April, but by the time your cheque is cashed it will be past then, so you are fine until next April.
  • You spoke a bit soon in your first post Tim.

If the weather is correct for Sunday, this TT will very much live up to it's name.

I have my Tricross ready for any eventuality!
  • Hmm, doesnt look good. Looks unlikely to get above freezing and there might be a bit of snow left over from Saturday.

Im sure David will make a call as to whether its ridable. If you are intending to ride go and have a good look at Northfields road before the event which is likely to be the most ice risk. If it looks dodgy best not to ride.

If it is doable i would suggest road/winter bike rather than lo pro, carbon disc and 19mm silk tubs!
  • I'm definitely planning to turn up.

Some of my best sporting achievements have occured on days when nobody else turned up :D
  • oo err, sounds like just the excuse I've been fumbling for :))
  • Air temp -1C 'feels like' -6C 12 mph wind ENE (this could be the good bit) gusting to ????
    Hmmm....