Welcome to the forum

Professional Bike fitting. Results.

edited February 2013 in General
Hi there.

I saved my £0.01's this winter and went for a Bike Fit this week, primarily for the road bike, plus an additional (mtn) bike since I ride the former more these days. Many of the measurements can & were transposed directly from one to the other since the mtn bike geometry puts me in almost the same position - that's why I bought it - even if Noah once rode the very same mtn bike & it is quite unlike mtn bikes circa the 21st century.

Anyhow, the below text is from the initial measurements taken on the bike, and thereafter we took some different measurements, taking into consideration: cleats, feet, pedals, the length of my odd legs and such like & adjusted things accordingly.

My primary aim: to remain injury free in 2013 on the bike.

A simple enough aim, and without real ambition these days, but still important. I anticipate 3x rides a week, with a total of about 8hrs a week, hardly the stuff of club or Olympic champions I grant you, but I seem to have suffered too many set backs since an injury in 2010 not to try and get it nailed down once and for all.

Without doubt this is something I should have done 3yrs ago. More fool me.

If anyone would like the full report with screen-grabs and images including superimposed angles and such, download it from: https://www.yousendit.com/download/UW14WWVrMVhWRDgxZXNUQw

For your hamstring flexibility, the ideal maximum knee angle is usually between 140o and 145o.

The minimum knee angle should be above 70 degrees.

Your upper body is a little unstable, with a small 'roll' of the shoulders.

Most of the ‘bend’ in your back is at the mid spine, with insufficient forwards rotation of the pelvis.

Your ankles open up nicely on the power-stroke, but with a lower than normal range of motion.

The upper arm to torso angle should be between 80 and 90 degrees.

Your hands fall naturally to a position on the bar bends.

Your insteps are neutral, but with some evidence of the ankles rolling in. The left and right fore-feet have a small varus angle.

The cleats were well positioned at the ends of the first three metatarsals. (edit: as far back on the shoes as they would go).

The cleat rotational positions needed to allow the heels to come closer to the bike

You were in front of the ideal fore-aft position using Knee over Pedal Spindle known as KOPS, but this was compromised by the low saddle height. Hip location criteria and your balance also suggested you could go back a few mm.

Your hamstring and hip flexibility was ok (edit: that's being generous!).

Comments