Welcome to the forum

Hillingdon winter series E123

edited February 2013 in Road Racing
Tom was the first race (first time) in the 4ths, didn’t see his entire race but it sounded good; small crash though. Cam and Bryn were absent so unfortunately couldn’t race, making it just Jon and I in the E123’s. It was bloody cold and all the water didn’t help either (not a single person wearing mud guards). Soon enough everyone started attacking and things got lively. I was enjoying chasing things down and being in the bunch but I wasn’t really going for any breaks. Unfortunately the weather got the better of Jon and he had to retire due to chest problems. None of the breaks were really sticking so I didn’t really bother chasing a small four man attack. Others attacked too but could get to them; It was at this point that I knew It was the break to be in. I sprinted away from the group and put the break in my cross hairs. I caught up with another chaser, who looked pretty knackered, and we set about working together. Looking behind me it had become apparent how far ahead we were and we could the four man attack. After a couple of laps I soon realised that we weren’t getting any closer, I had to ditch my rider, going up the hill I turned on the power, leaving him behind. I could feel myself reaching them but I wasn’t quite there yet. For a few laps I was almost there, but I was never going to catch them, that should have been attempted much earlier. I sat up and waited for the group to catch me up. I tried getting in a few more breaks, none of which lasted longer than half a lap. It was coming up to 5 laps to go and I realised how much I was doing on the front, I wasn’t sure whether to keep on going or rest for the sprint. Over the next few laps of chasing attacks and stringing it out it became clear that I wasn’t going for the sprint finish, I made my last effort to pull back a lone attacker and finished at the back of the bunch. It was a fun race but it took a while to feel my hands and feet again.

Comments

• edited February 2013
    good write up Theo, well done. It was a shame that i got a asthma attack during the first quarter of the race, i was feeling fairly strong, i covered a couple of breaks then I think the cold got the worst of me then i couldn't breath in or out.
  • Good write up as always Theo...
    You still did well to finish with bunch given your efforts earlier....what is clear is that you are able to race at this level and trying to get across to a break is really difficult and you nearly succeeded!
    Better still you've analysed what went wrong and learnt from it...THAT is what it's about...
    Well done to both of you for having a go ...