Welcome to the forum

Hog hill 16th Feb

edited February 2013 in Road Racing
It was a great turnout today at hog hill, we arrived as most the youths were leaving so I didn't see anything but Mark tells me It was a good morning. Tom, Jon, Daniel (my dad) and I were all in the same race (3/4 cats). Unfortunatley Bryn and Cam were of due to illness and exams. I managed to forget my helmet but luckily James Frasier could lend me his (after just coming 3rd in his race). It was a fairly tame start but for those who don’t know there is a large hill as the name suggests. Unfortunately Daniel fell out around 3 laps. A couple of laps later the group was pulling back a failed break, as the plan for today was to finish in the break I decided this was a perfect time to counterattack. I pushed out front advertising myself to potential attackers. Jons asthma gave him problems stopping him from going hard Two riders joined me and the break was formed. They didn’t seem to committed so it wasn’t long before we lost our gap. As I saw the peloton come closer I decided to stay out and see if anyone else wanted to come. An austrian rider answered my call;
“do you want to go again?”
“sure” , then we were off. This guy was good and for a few laps we got some good space. Going up the hill I pulled off to let him through but he wasn’t coming, when I looked behind I saw that the rider had been replaced by a chaser, this guy wasn’t so strong. I had to do pretty much all the work to keep us at a good distance, but after awhile I started to fade. The group was crawling forwards. Coming up to the hill we were meet by the austrian, he had a puncture. now we could make some progress. Down the hill he waved me in front “I’m limited gearing” he said. I looked at my 14 up cassette then looked at him. We allocated the weaker rider to the downhill part, but we lost him soon after. We worked together like clockwork spinning out a lead; “14,15,17,24seconds”. Three laps to go I realised that I could have a 2nd place, but I was pretty knackered from before. On the bell lap our led was 35 seconds. We could take it easy for a bit now. Base of the hill: matching each other up; I look tired. The pelton is close. Rider kicks. His style is slow and laboured. My sprint goes and I pass him to the first win for the CCA junior squad, just 6 seconds in front of the group.

Comments