Welcome to the forum

crest road race

edited March 2013 in Road Racing
A cold start to the day, we started in the neutralised zone, once the race had started breaks were flighing off the front, luke hatersly who I was advised to look out for was allready in the break, but we (me and theo) stook to out guns- the plan was to get into a break mid race. The race went on and I was thinking we had make a quite a. Big slip up as the break now has 2 minutes on the peloton theo tried an counter attack, I followed but I amagin as they saw 2 people in the same club up the road then they decided to close the gap, so we decided to close it down. It was about 30 mins into the race but now I think so I had a bananna and then I got a tight chest, fell through the peloton trying to have a few puffs of my enhalor, I then had to make my way up to the front of the pelotopn which was easy as I found a wheel who was doing that anyway. Now the pace falls I go on the front to try an main tain and control the time gap, then again I got a tight chest, a puff ogf the enhalor, my legs hurt more than ever, I found my self in a chasing group about 30 down on the peloton, after about 5 miles chasing down the peloton, I got back, and took no hances went staight to the front quarter, but theo wasn't in sight but I also spoted luke hatersly back in the peloton. When I next saw dan (theos dad) I asked if theo was up the road and he was! Not in sight, each time qe passed the marshals they would give us the time gap, it got up to 4.30 minutes, I thought bloody hell that isn't comming back. As I couldn't eat as I kept on getting a tight chest when ever I tried so I just tried suviving in the peloton, I found my self on the front again, what am I doing, I need to save my energy, so I went back into the peloton, then with the feeling of lactatic acid in my legs I hung in there on the back of the peloton, with 2 laps to go the ashwell gang was at the top of of the hill. This spired me on with all of the surport they gave, thinking only 2 laps to go, and the rule 5 of the euro rule book, I gritted my teeth and gave it my all. I was off the back trying to make up the space going down the decent, in the tucked in then trying to fight myself back on but this time I was alone, I dug in but the peloton was drifting away from me. This is my view of the crest race, but I wasn't the break so theo needs to tell you about his race, but from what I know he just finished at the back of peloton after being droped frome the break from half the way into the race. What a ride!

Comments

• Nice report mate well done cmstantly getting back up to the front of the main group each time
  • You did we'll under the circumstances Jon...that is a hard race and I am pleased that you hung on as long as you did.
    That really bodes well for the future...things will get better and better...well done!
  • Our counter attack wasn't all in vain, soon after we caught a break away but the main one was still 3 minutes ahead. The gap was only getting bigger so I tried to escape the sinking ship. Me and a rider from east London velo were the first in the break, but soon we caught up with a glendene guy who had been dropped by the lead group and to other riders. We got into a chaingang, but the whole time I was conscious of keep our speed up so a lot of the time it was just me on the front. Our gap on the front group was about 2:30 but not getting any smaller, I tried to speed us up a bit but it didn't make much difference. On about 3/4 to go a stronger east london and cc luton guy came. This is what we needed, but I was fading fast. I was just holding on and our gap was about minute on the leaders. unfortunately I blew up on the last lap. near the finish the main group gobbled me up. After the race I found out that our group had caught the leaders. Several riders from the group spoke to me after and were very complimentary but they all said that I did too much work. In retrospect this is obvious and It cost me a place in the first finishers, but It was still a good race. Thanks to Jez and the clubrun to coming along;that was a real help.
  • Hard luck Theo...but you have to look at the positives...you are learning so quickly and you already have the ability to race at this level..well done!
    Bet you can't wait for your next race...
  • From the sidelines this was a great race. Superb route very good organisation (marshals, leads cars, radios etc). The race was a real thrill to watch and I think Jon and Theo rode a brilliant race. This was their first adult open road race and so the step up from a circuit race was significant both in techique but also a huge step in speed and distance. Well done lads.

Cameron raced at Hillingdon on Saturday so is managing some racing within the constraints of his studies and Bryn is returning to health from a winter illness. I think the Junior Team is coming back to strength!

Great that the Club Run came to support the race; it means a lot, so thank you.

Daniel
  • carmelo... turns out doug (the cc luton guy) was going very well indeed, didn't realise that he caught the leaders and got ten metres on them within 600m of the finish... sounds like a good race! sorry i didn't turn out for support, tequila 6 hours before a ride isn't a good fuelling technique. great write ups jon and theo!
  • Yes Doug Coleman..classy rider who was about to be become 1st cat...he finished last season with a solo win and has started this season with same...we only saw the race with 3 laps to go and at that point 3 riders had over 4 minutes followed by Theo's group and saw Doug and another rider were closing on them.
    Thought then he could close in on the leaders and was hoping Theo could benefit....nevertheless still great efforts from our young ones....only a matter of time...
  • the more I read these write-ups the more I become convinced CCA has the right balance of fun and achievement. All our young riders do themselves and the club proud with the way they compete and grow from each experience. It's about having fun and clearly, the fitter and more race savvy they become the more fun they have as their results show the reward for the effort and focus they apply.
    As an aside can I thank the supporters,coaches and parents for helping to get them where they and we as a club are in such a short time.
    Much more to come ....go CCA
  • doug's certainly the fastest trombonist i know on a bike... unless anybody knows of any faster?
  • Trombonists CC....there's an idea!
  • Doug may well be the fastest trombonist I've seen ride, but I'd love to see how a trumpeter does...
  • Not as fast as that! Doug did give me some exercises to do to help with the accelerations (apparently). Tried them out this morning and have had a bit of trouble on the stairs ever since. Must be doing me good!