Welcome to the forum

Etape du Dales - a brutal route. May 17

Driving north on Saturday afternoon I could not help being alarmed by the way the trees were moving in the wind. However driving over the moors to Grassington early on Sunday it was completely still. So the Etape du Dales started on a bright still morning; perfect cycling weather. Brooks gurgled along limestone pavements, it was idyllic.

30 miles later my nerves were in shreds from two terrifying descents and I was pushing against a headwind – this was but a breeze compared to what was to come. I thought the ride was 100 miles, in fact it is 110 miles. At ‘only’ 55 miles the course turns back at the village of Nateby. Here the headwind was ridiculous. We’ve all experienced a strong headwind and I almost cried as I struggled against this one. It was not only sapping my energy but also eroding my resolve. At this point I was alone and anyone I saw was going too fast for me to hang on to. It was a grim and lonely 10 miles to the next feed stop. Now I was in a sort of ‘survival mode’, simply riding the distance and not able to push any real pace. My dream time was slipping from my grasp.

Some more hideous climbs had to be endured before the run back down to Grassington. However I was not getting any more weary and by this point groups were forming. We were sharing the load at the front to keep the pace. I was agonisingly close to getting a silver medal placing. I found the strength to hop onto faster moving groups as they passed and was utterly thrilled to get back with a time of 7h54’54”, five minutes inside the silver time zone.

So in summary the start is just fine, but the last 109 miles is very, very tough!