Welcome to the forum

Team Maynard go to Ixworth Criteriums

edited May 2008 in Road Racing
On the 4th of May (bank holiday Monday) the Maynard family + Aupair all drove to Ixworth.
The course in Ixworth is a circuit of closed roads through the village which meant lots of tight, fast corners and considering that last time the race was held a 4th cat rider got pushed through a glass shop front you may be able to understand why we all were a bit nervous.
A more complete overview of the course will be needed from now on. The course was a square shape will two uphill sides (one of which the races started and finished on) a flat side and a, restful, downhill side. The orders of these from the start/finish line were up down flat and finally back up again.
The twin’s race (Daniel and Rebecca Maynard), started off fast and got gradually slower. My siblings did not get a top three position but finished well and thoroughly enjoyed the race.
By the time the twins were safely gulping down bottles of water I was on the start line ready to race. In my Cat. B race there were about 15 of us including girls. I got off to a bad start by not choosing the right people to chase and thanks to my recent cold felt as if my lungs were going to burst every time my little chasing group (4th, 5th and 6th) powered through an uphill stretch. Although the other three top riders were way in front I was still determined to show the other two in my chasing group that CCA was still happy to beat them. So on the final lap I lead out faster than I should have and on the last uphill toward the finish I saw another bike inching its way past me. But as I did not suspect it was the race leader and as I sprinted for the line he threw his arms up and henceforth I am now in the finishing photo with what looks like a very painful 2nd, whereas the truth of the matter was that I got a 4th, having just been lapped by the winner.

Josh Maynard

Comments

• Well done Josh - and well reported - I feel like I was there (probably coming in last). See you soon now that crazy rugby game is over for another season.