Welcome to the forum

Welwyn Velodrome Novice Sessions and Info

edited April 2013 in General
I have been asked by a number of people how to start racing in the Friday Evening Track League at Welwyn. If you are accredited then it's just a case of turning up and registering for the season.

Track league starts, weather permitting!, on 26th April 2013.

If you are new to Welwyn you will need to attend a novice session or two on a Saturday morning. I have made enquiries with the coaches and here is a summary of their reply: -

We have two Novice Sessions planed for April, on Saturday 13th and 27th. On both these Saturday’s we will be running a double session; 9am – 11am will be a normal Saturday Track Training Session for experienced senior and youth Track riders. We will then have a Novice only session, between 12pm – 2pm.

We believe this will be more manageable from a coaching perspective and also make more Track time available for riders.

The normal track sessions, weather permitting, will start next week with Monday being an “Open Session” for competent Track riders. Friday will be for Track League Race Training, also an Open Session for experienced riders. This will be repeated the following week.

Comments

• Richard,
    Do you happen to know when the Monday evening training sessions start (for accredited riders)?
    Daniel
  • Thanks Richard is it best to attend both novice sessions or you only supposed to do one?
  • Sencio,

The exerpt above was from an e-mail from Francis dated 2/4/13, so I'm presuming that Monday's start on 8/4/13, I'll try to clarify this week.

Nathaniel,

Acreditation to train in the open sessions on Monday and race on Fridays is down to the coaches. This sometimes happens in one session but more often in two or more. However in your case as you've ridden plenty of fixed wheel grass track it may just be one session. Make sure you tell them of your experience level.

All,

The WW website is about to change and is currently being rebuilt. Thus the current viewable site is not having regular updates, hopefully this will change soon.

Richard
  • Im hoping to get down to a couple of the track training sessions and am aiming for next friday, the 12th. Hopefully see some of you there.

If you need accreditation, remember you need to act now if you want to ride this season. From what Richard says above, saturdays 13th and 27th and if youve been riding on the grass you will have most of the skills and it shouldnt be a problem. I couldnt see any info on the WW website about these sessions but I'm sure there will be, or maybe just turn up for 12.00 and see what happens.

Dont miss the boat though.
  • Holly and I both plan to be there this Saturday - will we be able to hire bikes and can we pre-book or could someone point us to a contact who could help

Thanks

Andrew
  • I cant answer that Andrew. Im sure you will be able to hire bikes but its probably worth dropping them an email.
  • Thanks Tim - all sorted now
  • Bike hire is on a first come first served basis (assuming it works as it has done in the past) - worth being there @ 8:45 if you intend to hire
    Once you have hired a bike, they record the bike number & try & give you that bike on any future occasions that you hire bikes.

The first week is normally a bit hetic and takes a bit of time to sort out, but you'll soon be doing stuff

Hope that helps
    Trahern
  • Please remember that format of the sessions on 13th & 27th April at Welwyn have changed from previous years:

There is a Novice only session, between 12pm – 2pm.

The session at 9am -11am is the normal track training session for experienced senior and youth Track riders