Welcome to the forum

Wiggle Spring Saddle Sportive - Newmarket

edited April 2013 in Sportives
After doing the tough 18 mile closed - circuit race at Elveden yesterday, I knew today would be hard. Me and my Dad (Teal) did the Wiggle Spring Saddle Sportive in Newmarket. We signed up to do the 75 mile (Standard Route), I wasn't sure if I could do it after the Elveden race the day before. However I felt fine, so we decided to stay with the 75 miler instead of the shorter route of 38 miles. The day was lovley, It was sunny and just the right temprature for a ride. The first 20 miles were quite undulating. The feed station at 21 mile helped with a boost of engery, to keep going on a scenic 30 mile route to the next feed station, which included some killer hills aroud Finchingfield. For the last 25 miles it was a steady ride back, however around 3 miles to the finish there was a massive long hill which didn't help. After completing the hill we raced back through Wooditton to the Rowley Mile at Newmarket Racecourse. When we finished we got a Medal and a 'Goody Bag' which contained a Cycling PLUS magazine, a small bottle of 'Muck Off', Salty Snacks and a Waterproof pouch! Overall we averaged 15.5 mph over 75 miles, now for a rest.

Gareth

Comments

• Flippin eck! great stuff Gareth.... 75 miles at 15.5!?.....er, you might want to point out to those reading how old you are.
  • Chapeau for sticking with the 75 miles.
    I also did this, but after TTing yesterday and feeling it in my legs this morning, I opted for the shorter route and to get round quickly.
    However it definitely wins goody bag oddity, a pack of pistachio nuts! Something to make my mouth dry and thirsty is spot on.
  • I did that one too, a good ride!

....somehow, even if we don't stick together on the rides, it would be good to know who is planning on going to these things hey, just to say hi and do a few miles together!

Mark