Welcome to the forum

Tour of the Mendips

edited April 2013 in Road Racing
This was our first national junior race of the year but unfortunately Bryn was not with us (riders: Theo, Cam and Jon. Support: Stewart and Daniel)
Stage 1
The first day was a flat stage around the chew valley lake and with 80 riders it was bound to be fast. We set out on the 104km race with the sun on our backs and with Daniel and Stewart in the team car. The peloton was a bit, crazy even in the neutralised zone there were people scraping into cars and almost hitting them head on. This was especially worrying considering the region’s Junior Hefferman accident. On lap two Cam and Jon were sitting comfortably in the front half of the bunch and I was a bit behind them. Just after a long open section across a bank the road snaked round into tree cover, Just as the lane was constricting a rider punctured and lost control. As the crash happened Cam and Jon got passed it on the right, but By the time I got there it had domino-ed across the width of the tarmac. I hopped over and got onto the tail of Cam and Jon’s chasing group. The furious pace caused Jon to have an asthma attack losing him his place in the group. Cam and I caught the group, there were now about 6 laps to go. due to the group size we could sit in fairly comfortably and keep most of our efforts for stage 2. I finished in the main group, Cam was also in the front group until he punctured in the last km but was given the same time, Jon spent the rest of his race in a chasing group.

Comments

• stage 2

This was the big one, 3 big climbs (the last one was done twice) over 96km. It started off fairly calm, again another sunny day. We had done this course on our training camp, with expert advice from James Dobbin, so it was quite familiar to Jon and I. The first 16km or so were along a rolling shelf road along the base of the mendips, it was pretty bumpy and within the first 10km I lost both my bidons (the weak bottle cages didn’t help either). This was leading up to the first KOM of the day: Burrington Combe a category 3 climb with about 200 metres climbing. I knew I needed to move up the group so on a left turn I came round the outside. what i didn’t see was the gravel, my front wheel slipped out beneath me but somehow I recovered. It was actually the easiest of the 4 KOMs but also the longest. I jumped up to the front of the group to get a good spot on the group as the climb peaked I moved back a bit to seek shelter. After the climb, sitting next to Cam, I looked behind and saw nothing. The group must had lost about half including Jon, But some did catch back on in the following section. The peloton was now on the windy top of the mendips but the pace wasn’t dropping. After 42km the First lap was over and the next lap, although shorter, had a harder climb. Leading up to the second KOM point I remembered James telling me to get into the small ring on the bottom corner. This let me zoom passed the other stumbling riders. the first part was 14% at its steepest point and similar gradients throughout. I was crawling up in the leading group waiting for plateauing part. Finally it happened. Cam had given me a bidon but I needed another. The feedstation was coming up, just before the final kick in the climb. I was looking out for our friends from Maldon district (the Woods) as they had our bottles. I saw Sue holding up a bottle and grabbed it, as I looked up I realised I had been caught napping and the peloton was creeping away. I put in a final effort to get over the top but realised I was in between the peloton and a chasing group, I dropped back to the group which had Cam in it and it didn’t take long for us to catch back on. We dropped down through the villages ready of the penultimate climb which we would do once more for the finish. I got about halfway up the hill before I started to drop of, I wasn’t far off but there was just one person with me. we had a chance of getting back on. He put in a mega attack at the top and sped off with my chances. I was on my own now. There was about 16km to go. I was losing ground and needed a group to be with so looked behind, and saw familiar looking lone rider. I sat up to wait for Cam who arrived with the team car. We took turns on the front and soon dropped down into the long fast section before the final climb. Both of us were in our top gears the whole time, spinning through the villages. On a small incline my gears started jumping Cam was behind me: “you’ve lost a jockey wheel”. The car came beside me to offer assistance but I couldn't pedal. So they ordered Cam on and my race was over. I walked over the hill and put my bike on the rack. My dad looked at the mech (missing the lower jockey wheel). As we were about to put a makeshift bolt repair in Stewart remembered he had a spare mech. We swapped over the jockey wheel and I was off again. But with all the waiting and repairing I must have lost a bit under 10 mins. I was on my own just trying to finish the race. Just before the final climb I reached for a swig of water but dropped the bidon, luckily the Stewart came over in the team car and Daniel handed me a bottle. My pace dropped dramatically on the hill. I went to apply power but my legs just didn’t have it. I was crawling up so slowly in my bottom gear. I almost stopped so many times. about half a km to the finish my legs just gave up and I fell into a bush. The broom wagon asked if I needed a medic but my dad got out of the car and picked me up. I got rid of my glasses, gloves and bidon. Daniel Pushed me of and I was riding again.The gradient was fairly easy now and I could see the finishing line. I crossed it and sat straight down. It was definitely the hardest race I’ve done and although I didn’t finish where I wanted to in the GC it was also the best race I’ve ever done.
  • STAGE 1
    As Theo says in his report Stewart and I were in the team car. That is the CC ASHWELL Team Car. We were both nervous for the lads and also anxious about being in the race convoy. As we pulled out various radio checks were made. I confess I may have answered COM 1 a little too quickly but it was very thrilling!

It was an incredible experience seeing and living the race from this perspective. The time checks were being relayed on the radio so we knew what was going on ahead and from time to time we could see the lads and breathe a sigh of relief that they were okay. We did stop to support a rider with a puncture; it felt good to help.

The race calmed down after the crash Theo mentioned and basically we enjoyed the race and the rather fine commentary from COM 2 on the radio.

The lads executed the race plan perfectly.

STAGE 2
    Stage two was nothing short of savage. 4 climbs that simply laugh at anything found in Hertfordshire.

Once again lots were drawn and CC ASHWELL Team Car joined its’ place in the convoy. It is funny what you notice on the roadside, we could have sworn we saw one of Theo’s bottles. Indeed a bit further on we thought we saw his other one. This gave us one more thing to worry about but not be able to control. We hoped the lads could share and make contact with the Woods at the feedstation.

Burrington Combe is described by some as the hardest climb. Indeed many riders fell victim to its long and relentless ascent. Sadly Jon was one such rider.

As the race headed south down towards the top of the infamous Cheddar Gorge Stewart and I were struck by the perfect sight in front of us. Brightly lit in the crisp morning sun was a tight peloton of cyclists, headed and tailed by out-riders, officials and team cars. We both savoured the moment as being THE REAL DEAL. All those hours getting cold at Hillingdon and Hog Hill have resulted in this; the lads riding a proper open road race in glorious country side. MAGIC.

Near the end we were following Theo and Cam when Theo’s jockey wheel parted from the derailleur and bounced into oblivion. Amazingly we could fix it and Theo could finish the race. Great that the CC ASHWELL Team Car was there to offer assistance.

Of course it was tough seeing my son collapse on the roadside. However I had no hesitation pulling him out of the hedge, letting him rest a moment before pushing him up the hill. There was no doubt in my mind that he not only wanted to do that but in fact he HAD to do it. Which he did.

It was a great experience and I am enormously proud of all our riders. This race is brutal and they did CCA proud riding it.

Overall: Cam 39th, Theo 44th and, sadly, Jon DNF (along with another 30 or so others).

Links to the BC report here.

Daniel
  • Bloody Awesome!! Well done!!
  • The "real deal" indeed. Well done lads, thanks for the write up and love those photos!
  • I don't know whether I'm more impressed by the fantastic efforts of the three lads or by Stewart & Daniel's heroic bike surgery carried out under such pressure.

Extremely well done Jon, Cameron, Theo. Great role models for younger riders.

Mark F
  • Hugely impressive and inspirational, well done to all 3 riders and the support team
    the report and photos are excellent... i wish i could have been there (in the team car obviously)
  • Great effort lads! Great report and photos too....these events are always super tough and the level is extremely high so mixing it with them shows how far you have all come..
    Hard luck Jon...it was not wasted though you have to remember that...Theo..we know how well you are going so tough luck with mechanical but I am so impressed with your ability to go to the very end ...collapsing in to a bush..love it!..and Cam ..considering how many longer miles you have had to miss this year that is a fantastic performance...
  • proud of you all....well done lads and great support daniel and Stewart....go CCA