Welcome to the forum

All training is good training. Mtn bike on the road. Hard graft.

edited April 2013 in General
All training is good training.

Wednesday: first club ride in half a year. Went well, was not out of my depth and enjoyed it, being back in the fold, so to speak. Pleased that my rather limited training rides had brought me back to a reasonable level.

In amongst those 9 (?) pre-training rides, I used the mountain bike on the road and on the turbo trainer a few times. A timely reminder of how much harder a ride can be, on the road, on a mountain bike; it's like you're dragging an invisible weight behind you, 1/3rd of the time in the correct gear, 2/3rds of the time either spinning away or pressing a harder gear.

Friday: took the mtn bike out on the Wednesday ride route, felt strong, achieved my best Sandon - Elmdon (M11) time thus far this year, but the last 45 minutes.... no way could I manage the full Wednesday club ride on the mtn bike, no way. Legs pumped and I was shot, all of 2:15hrs - a little disappointed tbh.

Thus I would recommend it: maybe take your mtn bike out for a 2+hr road ride and see what you make of it - it seems a lot harder than a road bike ride. All training is good training.