Welcome to the forum

Westerley CC Spring Criteriums-Hillindon 13/4/2013

edited April 2013 in Road Racing
Today we (Luke, Anthony, Cameron, Theo and I) had a ¾ cat race at Hillingdon. A great turn out for cca!

It was a good field with 86 riders in this race, at times it was a bit sketchy, but that’s racing and in a big pack I was trying to stay at the front by using my bunch skills and not wasting any energy but making an effort up the outside pushing air wasting valuable energy.

Attacks kept pinging off the front, but no one stayed away. This is quite normal for a ¾ race at Hillingdon. I kept in the bunch for a bunch sprint, Theo was on the front for a large majority of the race chasing down the breaks which we weren’t in and cam going for the selected breaks which he though would stick by having a sense of their form. Sadly this being a ¾ race no one is really committed (apart from us obviously!). I was trying to work with my asthma in the race so whenever I got a slight twinge in my chest then I took a puff. This helped massively, I was able to stay in contention.

It was towards the end of the race, I heard someone’s dad shout “5laps to go move up” so I moved up on someone’s wheel then I found Theo’s wheel. I stuck with him right up until the space was no longer there. Now I just moved up using someone else to push the wind out of the way.

1 lap to go the pace ramps up massively breaks are pinging off the front, they got brought back more or less straight away. It was a bunch sprint… what I hoped as I didn’t feel like I had the legs to get in a break once the race had started-the plan was that I was going to get in a break.

The results… Anthony finished definetly in the top ten. We think theo finished 10th, cam and I finished in the top 20 but not really sure where and luke closely behind.

Comments

• Great report, Jon - sounds like you rode it very shrewdly, saving as much energy as possible.

Well done to all at Hillingdon today.

Mark F
  • Nice one, Jon! Glad you managed to keep the asthma at bay... Great results!
  • Well it was my first experience of racing today and I really enjoyed it. I didn't have the best preparation with nasty virus most of the week, but still gave it a good go. Couldn't believe the pace of over 41kph for the race. Massive respect to those of you controlling the pace and attacking.

Cheers for the support as well today. I'll be back for more!!
  • Just a quick question lads, was that a normal pace for a Cat 4 race or was it faster due to the amount of Cat 3 riders?
    I didn't expect it to be that quick at Cat 4 from what people had said?
  • Well done everyone jon it's great that the inhaler was being that effective this time, maybe your body's going to just get more and more used to it?
  • luke, yeah it was pretty quick you did well to hang in there as i think it was your first race, Anthony said he recorded 25 after his warm down so i recon it was an average of 26, and the e123's averaged that. nathaniel, the warmer weather favors me as the cold air effects me.
  • an update on the results...
    5 Anthony Morris CC Ashwell
    10 Theo Doncaster CC Ashwell
    16 Cameron Woolsey CC Ashwell
    37 Jon Chapman CC Ashwell
    57 Luke Danckert CC Ashwell