Welcome to the forum

Sunday 14/4 9.30 club ride

edited April 2013 in Club runs
Without Captain Pugwash at the Helm (too much rum probably) 8 shipmates set sail in this group, not just battling the winds but also pot holes which caused the only two punctures of the ride. Langford , Ampthill,Barton, Stondon then Langford only to get almost blown into the gutter by strong sidewinds on the way up to to the water tower. First ride for
me in too long. Sailing in to the harbour with 46 miles at a tad under 17mph (14.7697654213727 knots - Google !).

See you next week

Comments

• edited April 2013
    Actually, I thought this was a cracking good ride: fast at times, all hills (with or without ice axes) taken at a good pace, closing up again post hill / inclines.
    This played to people's strengths and as the pace increased you either joined in the increased pace or stuck it out 'til the group slowed and you got your breath back and we headed off again.
    Not sure I could have managed more by the time we got back, all 4 of us, truth be told, plus I was out of water.

As a club training ride this was great and just what I need at this time of the year, emphasising just how dire my own winter training had degraded to.

Can we do similar next week?
  • Respect to anyone out in that wind yesterday.
    First time i have been apprehensive about getting my bottle and riding one handed, nasty gusts of winds. Some times i felt like i was riding at a 45 degree angle.
  • Thanks all for waiting for my 2 punctures! Despite 40 quid tyres- Conti 4 Seasons- which brush off all thorns and flints, there was no stopping the 2 nasty little potholes both causing pinch flats. Coping with the wind and immediately deflating rear tyres was a tricky business! Thank goodness for carrying 2 spare tubes. Challenging ride for me, plenty of rolling hills to deal with and gusting southerlies, glad to be back in port, turned off at Shillington for 48 miles @16.6mph.
  • From the sound, I had assumed you were using Whooppee! cushions for tyres.
    The wind was most evident on the hill climb back to the water tower (not that I led from the front during the ride, so it was maybe windy there too) where the side wind was blowing us into the verge.
  • Using decent quality Conti tubes as well....I blame the 16 odd stone I weigh...hence the instant flats on pothole impact and puffing and wheezing on any inclination in the road!
  • I will email you the link to the pothole app !!! but i can't help you with your chain ;-)
  • Thanks...I rather tempted fate by saying these things usually come in threes.....I'll make the mechanic walk the plank....er, that'll be me then!
  • Barnabas, not that i've ever reported a pothole myself as there just seem to be so many these days, but the first one that got you was just outside the Chicksands MTB car park.

You could always fill in the following council pothole report. You never know they might send you a complimentary inner tube !

https://www.centralbedfordshire.gov.uk/officeforms/Highways_Reporting_Form.ofml
  • edited April 2013
    Guys,

Thanks for leading the way both Rebecca and I were in bits whern we got back.

I had a quick recovery drink and slice of toast and then went to Welwyn to help run in the three new Derny bikes.

Sunday evening was not pleasant, nor was Monday morning.

See you soon,

Richard
  • Knees akimbo
    Ventilating sore parts other bikes can't?
  • I'm afraid that it's a very uncomfortable position but it's the UCI approved posture to create as much draft as possible.

After a couple of hours I walked like John Wayne
  • Richard, can I please borrow one of those bikes for the next Black Pig run? If we go at that pace again it will help speed me up, get me up the hills and with tyres that will cope with the largest of potholes!