Welcome to the forum

Boudicca Sportive - Snetterton Sunday 19th May

edited April 2013 in Sportives
I've just entered this sportive, so if anyone else is interseted in joining me let me know. I can fit 5 riders and bikes in my car
The 100 mile ride starts at 7am so would mean leaving Ashwell at 5am.

Might be worth considering if your doing the Chiltern 100 a few weeks later, although a tad flatter.

Full details http://www.boudiccasportive.co.uk/about/

Comments

• Though i'd just stick this up the top again as it's almost deadline day for it ,and i only have space for 2 more riders.

Cheap sportive at just £22. A gentle roll through Norfolk with a glimpse of the sea.
    400 riders already entered, with over 150 doing the 100 mile last year.

entry fee covers the following

£22.00 for the 100 and 70 mile sportives
    £15.00 for the 30 mile sportive.

Electronic timing and full results service by ChipTiming UK
    GPS mapping and download
    Fully way marked route
    Free food / drink at rest stops – fruit, bars, energy drinks.
    First Aid cover – provided by St John Ambulance
    Mechanical support – spare parts (tubes, cables etc) will be charged for
    Recovery minibus

http://www.boudiccasportive.co.uk/about/

http://www.bikemap.net/route/2091034#lat=52.732471381634&lng=1.0966930078125&zoom=10&maptype=roadmap
  • edited May 2013
    "Entries close on 8th May. No e mail or on the day entries accepted "
  • Rolled round this Sportive yesterday on a very pleasant well marked route. A few long drags more than hills enroute,
    but nothing to put the wind up a regular club rider.I thought i spotted another Ashwell rider on the return leg but could
    be mistaken. The wind was kind yesterday as there are some sections of the course which are very exposed and could be
    very tough on a blustery day.Rode about half the course with other groups, but it's always tricky finding riders of
    the same or similar ability .Started to cramp up in my calf around 80m and struggled for the last 24m. Finished the
    104 mile route in 5h 45m.

Felt alot better 40mins later after a very goods sports massage for just £5, and a plate of Pie n Chips (please note Dave Brailsford)

Would be good to see the blue train do this as it's a pretty fast course. I had Iceni Velo(Norwich cc) train go past me,and i think they finished
    around the 5h 20m mark.
  • I wonder why they closed their books so early? Else I'd have been there.
    Good time though.
  • Sounds a good event and one to mark down for next year, hopefully won't clash with the much nearer to home (for me) Hitchin Nomads 80 mile sportive. Good speed at 18 mph for 104 miles, especially if riding solo for long stretches.
  • You may have heard about a driver tweeting that they had knocked down a cyclist, which has gone viral and she is in big trouble (and rightly so)
    Turns out it was a cyclist at this Sportive.
    Thankfully the cyclist is fine, and hopefully this poor excuse for a motorist will have the book thrown at her.

Read all about it
  • Thanks Pearce for posting this. Almost hard to believe that someone would brag about an incident like this. I posted my
    views on the matter and almost signed off by saying she needs shooting (in a Jeremy Clakson fashion) but then thought
    i was almost as bad as her.She needs to get a lengthy ban for this when you factor in not stopping after an accident (if you
    can call it that), not reporting an accident,showing no remorse and coming out with the daft road tax line. If she'd hit someone
    walking a dog on a rural road you can't use the old road tax excuse then can you.

That's my rant, i'll calm down now.

http://ipayroadtax.com/no-such-thing-as-road-tax/i-knocked-a-cyclist-off-his-bike-i-have-right-of-way-he-doesnt-even-pay-road-tax/
  • Do you think her employers will want to see her face anytime soon?

It's odd, but that old Road tax argument is something I too have heard from both old and young alike.
    I fail to see the logic in it, especially as in all likelihood said cyclist / horse rider pays tax on his or her car(s) too.

All credit then to the patience shown by so many car drivers on the club's Cat 4 and 3 race on Sunday.
  • Jeremy Clarkson “Trespassers in the motorcars domain, they do not pay road tax and therefore have no right to be on the road, some of them even believe they are going fast enough to not be an obstruction. Run them down to prove them wrong”

James Martin "Knowing they wouldn't hear me coming, I stepped on the gas, waited until the split second before I overtook them, then gave them an almighty blast on the horn at the exact same time I passed them at speed. The look of sheer terror as they tottered into the hedge was the best thing I've ever seen in my rear-view mirror"

Comments like the two above from BBC celebrities, even if there is an element of tongue in cheek humour, are very much to blame for the attitudes of some drivers towards cyclists. The only reason Emma Way was caught for this was that she was dumb enough to boast about on social media. Unfortunately, there are plenty of others that get away with this sort of thing.
  • The funny thing is, road tax was abolished 70+ years ago.
  • Spot on Nat. For future reference, as its a common complaint...road maintence, repairs, building etc comes out of general taxation so all tax payers pay for the roads whether or not they have a car. drivers pay vehicle excise duty based on the co2 output of the vehicle to offset carbon emmisons.

Sadly the girl in question above is likely to get no more than a caution unless she is already on police records for similar offences. This sort of thing and much worse happens all the time every day, there is no political will to deal with it.
    However, trial by social media could be her biggest problem and she could lose her job. There have been lots of successful campaigns on the web against dangerous individuals and organisations with very poor attitudes to cyclists such as happened with Adison Lee in London.