Welcome to the forum

Club Run review - Sunday 24th May 2009

30+ riders today. I went out with around 15 Club Runners. 'Two Bridges' route, with a Cardington hill chaser.

Brilliant weather and all going well until Pete ripped off his derailleur and broke his frame at the start of the big hill. Andy B went back to get his car to pick up Scoatesy - well done Andy. Me and a few others went with him, in-form Skelders walking the village sign sprint [must be the pro kit...]. Others went back via Ian and Jane's house for kindly offered tea and cake.

I haven't ridden with the Club Run for a while. I want to point out the difference between the pace here and the Middle Group is negligible really. I think a few should be stepping it up a bit - for their own benefit as well as making sure the Club Run doesn't get too 'hot' for Sunday beginners and newbies.

40 miles at 18mph.

Comments

• Totally agree with your comments on the differences in pace, I personally drop into the club run when I have time restrictions. Perhaps there is enough riders now for a club and two middle groups therefore offering longer & shorter ride options? Just a thought?
  • that's a very good proposal Tim..........many were discussing options and that seems sensible as we all have a need at times for a shorter ride but still faster than the club........4 of us did a proper mid ride yesterday at nearly 19(top end for mid ride pace) good route and great day 48 miles to Jane & Ian's 55 by time we had ridden back to Ash.A few more would have shared the work up front.

Off soon for ride starting at James' 10am
  • just like to say guys it was a very good ride,i was just behind skelders, but being new to the club i never realized there was a sprint to village sign next time i will get my skates on.by the time i got back to ashweel & then home i clocked 60,well pleased see you next week
    strappy.
  • The other medium group, lead by Steve took us on a rolling route to Hertford, through the lanes. Great ride. Lost Phil on a hill and think he turned off as we could not find him. 7 started, average 19mph, distance 60miles, some did more of course. Excellent ride and though I took the rear seat on the way home was well looked after and paced by all.
    Not around for a couple of weeks so see you mid-June.

Ian and Jane all the best with your move. Ian thanks for always looking out for the suffering rider on those cold winter rides. You are a total gent.

Regards,

Vincent
  • I turned left after Bayford (i now know I should have turned right!!) and ended up in Hoddesden - looped back to Hertford and made my way home via watton, stevenage, baldock, stotfold and henlow - 77miles overall at 17.9mph
  • be fair Vincent....I have ridden with the "medium" group you were with and that 19 mph was over a longer distance than the genuine Middle group would be happy with and over hillier terrain.....to keep that average up you are riding harder and averagely 1-2mph faster than the Middle group can sustain.......It is mischievous to describe yourselves as the "other" middle group.
    When I am up for a challenge it is good to try and hang in there with you, but I know that when I did you were being generous to me and waiting a bit on the hills...........

Whwt James and I are trying to do is encourage the true medium riders in the club to ride a genuine middle ride, both in speed and distance so that there is a transitional ride between the club ride at 15-17mph and the Fast (nasties) at 19mph and above.

The middle ride is pitched at 17-19mph over 50-60 miles.with a suggestion of a second shorter ride as well on occasion if people have to get back early.

There are at least 12-14 riders regularly out on Sundays who could handle this Middle ride and it would allow Bob to run the club ride to suit those moving up to the Sunday ride without completely hacking them off.
    There are a lot of club members who for one reason or another have taken a break from the rides and are scared off by the overall level of fitness now on display.
  • I would much agree with your final paragraph Geoff and would like to ride Sundays if I knew it was going to be 15 - 17 mph average – 17 + being too much for me.

Until then I’ll have to stick to Saturdays!

Great ride yesterday (Monday) though – thanks for your help!

John