Welcome to the forum

Open TT's - who is doing what?

edited April 2013 in Time Trial
Noticed a few CCA riders on results sheets for Open TT's. As with Sportives it's good to know who is doing what and when, can meet up even just to say hello if anyone else is also doing them.

Here's my calendar for the next few weeks, is anyone else planning to do these?

4th May - London Phoenix 10 (Millennium Cup) F7/10
5th May - ECCA Festival 20 E1/20
12th May - Wisbech Wheelers 25 B25/6
18th May - North London CC 25 (Millennium Cup) F14/25
1st June - Hitchin Nomads 25 (Millennium Cup) F14/25
8th June - ECCA 10 E2/10 (rescheduled from 23rd March)
22nd June - Hertfordshire Wheelers 10 F20/10
29th June - Whitwebbs CC 10 F20/10

Comments

• So i couldn't do the Interclub because i was signed up for the Finsbury Park CC 10 today (and couldn't DNS and do the IC as it's against the CTT law.)
    What a great day for a ride, perfect temp. Glad i recce'd part of it as it's quite a technical course, sharp turns and fast descents. The others on the start line only surveying the map were very unprepared for what was to come, i know this was a SPOCO but it was very hilly, small lanes and bumpy road. Nasty climb near the start and a nasty one at the end, with a sprint finish like our club HC.
    I did a 28:23, there were a lot of people in the 27's and i was disappointed not to be in there. I lost a fair bit on some of the hills, i've learnt from this i really need to spin the legs more rather than grind out a bigger gear. I knew this already but it would help if i actually put it into practice. The winner by a decent margin did a long 24.
    STRAVA REPORT
  • Chris,
    We may decide to cancel the Duxford event due to the course is in a poor state. If this does go ahead you will be advised to take it easy on the single track, I will keep you posted.

Regards Shelton
  • Thanks for letting me know, yes that road is bad but i have seen worse.

Just had the start sheet for the Team MK, nice to see i have some CCA company :)
  • edited April 2013
    Paging Chris,

The course has now been changed due to the poor state of the road. 8th May circuit series and is now Bottisham E33/13.

Shelton
  • Thanks for the forewarning, I'll give it a miss as I was only doing it because the Duxford course is 5mins from home.
    I'll be at your July open.
  • So a week after everyone else i was at the F15/10 course at Brogborough, the Team MK 10. Anthony Morris and Tom Trimble were also there, enough for a CCA team! Wonder when the last time that happened.
    There was a fair NE wind, so the outward leg felt fantastic and i had wild delusions of being in the low 20's, then i turned at the RAB and the wind and reality set in. A real dig in and bear it return. Ended up with a 25.01, 7 seconds off my PB which i'm happy about because it was a difficult return leg.
    Anthony was on another level and came 7th with a 22.51. Tom had bike problems, shame because it looks an awesome bike.
    Ashley Cox (our club 10 course record holder?) trounced the field with a 20.37.

FULL RESULTS
  • An ECCA event today and a new one, Hilly 20 on the E1/20 course, which is two laps of the Eagle RC road race circuit. Local one for me, 5 mins down the road, so was looking forward to blasting through lanes i normally pootle along. Great day for it, was early so not too warm, and i was first off. Starts in Quendon, smooth descent into Newport, then the long drag from there to Clavering. We were lucky the wind wasn't bad as i recced it yesterday when it was blowing and that drag was miserable. Then a left to Rickling, more ascent then a good smooth descent in Rickling itself, then a repeat for the second lap. I tried to keep it steady for the first lap and pace myself, as i'm going up from 10's to 25's over the new few weeks so this is a good tester. Had a coming together with the verge on a tight bend, and cocked up a sharp turn trying to be clever on the brakes, which turned out to be very costly as i lost two places by ONE SECOND! I posted 52.37 and two others pipped with me with 52.36! You can over analyse i suppose, but if you think i hadn't messed up those two things and pushed a little harder, i could have made up three places, as I was 14th, 11th was only 12s ahead. Hey ho, i was pleased anyway, i was (i think) the only guy on a road bike and clip ons, i've been told no one finished ahead of me with that set up. I know one of the guys who was 1s ahead was on a nice shiny Argon, if only i had one!
    FULL RESULTS
    STRAVA REPORT

Now everyone else is quiet on here but other CCA riders have been spotted on results sheets. Carmelo did the Cambridge CC 10, and Nigel has come out of winter open hibernation (finally!) and did a 30 on the A1.
  • Awesome ride by Carmelo to finish 5th overall in the South Pennine RC 25, and first Vet! But it was close!

Nigel posted a great time in his first 50 to finish 14th.

I finished 17th in my first 25, the sub hour target was not to be due to a nasty wind, other riders said it was at least 4 mins slower than a good day. So bodes well for my next 2 races on the F14/25. I've got Nigel and Julian for company next week, team prize is on!
  • 14th...... Where did you find the results ?
  • edited May 2013
    3 CCA riders in the top 15 at the North Road CC on the local F14/25 course.

Nigel with a very tidy 59:27 to place 7th, considering he didn't have his disc. Julian Pegg came 13th with a 1:01:46, closely followed by me in 15th with a 1:02:09 (knocking 36 secs off my PB). We came second in the team prize. Ash Cox smashed it with a 53:40, beating the event record and earning himself a tidy sum.
    FULL RESULTS
    I thought Julian was a newbie but i see he is an old hand and did some TT's back in 2011, he looks a handy TTer so would be good to see more of him.

The next event on this course is only in two week's on the 1st June, the Hitchin Nomads Open. Being so near it would be good to get some more CCA next time, good practice for the Interclub 25 and to size up the competition with the Nomads. We should also have a decent shot at the Team Prize. It can be entered online HERE
  • edited May 2013
    So the talk in the mini TT world is the F11/10 course in Tring, last week at a VTTA event there was a 'float' day, someone did an 18 and loads in the 19's. Someone whose PB was in the 21's did a 19!!! The next Open there is on the 15th June by Hemel Hempstead CC, 150 riders and it's likely to be full with the attention surrounding the course at the moment, the cut off time to get in is likely to be a mid 22. My current PB on my new bike is our club course, a 24:45.
    So tonight I did the VC10 club 10 which is on the F11/10 (handy)paid my £10 as a non member (they're onto a money spinner there) and the pressure was on to get into the 22's.
    The surface going into the first turn is atrocious, i'd driven the course but hadn't realised what a pot holed mess it was. So bad it caused my bars to drop by 30-40 degrees, unbelieveable! I was edging closer and closer down into the front wheel. Anyhow i ploughed on and the bars were rock solid still, it did feel fast, and i posted a 22:01 :-) Imagine if my bars had been straight the whole way! STRAVA REPORT
    So entry is in for the Open, and if any of you quick guys want to get in, entry closes early June.

Update - this is how bad my bars were, it looks worse than it felt!

null
  • Go Chris!
  • Nice and low ;-)
  • Is that the time or the bars Nige!?
    I'll be in the 21's the next time i run this, and who knows, your club record next :-)
  • Very aero. Did you get a muddy forehead?
  • I'll see you there on the 15th mate ;-)
  • Following Nigel's club record 100 last Sunday there were more quick times this weekend, and fastest times of the year so far by CCA riders (so i believe).
    Tom Trimble did the quickest 10 of the year with a 21:06 at the Whitwebbs CC open on the F20/10, which is where Nigel got his club record. Carmelo was also there with a 22:23.
    Nigel came 6th with a 55:41 at the Icknield RC 25 on the F1/25, quickest 25 of the year (just beating my time from two weeks ago!). Jason Stuart was not far behind with a 57:01. Sets a marker for the Interclub 25. Julian was also there with a 59:42, that's his quickest 25 of the year too i think.
    Michael Martin was on the E2/25 again in much better weather than last time, getting closer to beating the hour with a 1:00:45 and another PB.
  • I did 55'47" on 11th may...was wet so hay fever problems not bad..am so up and down with it this year and only started getting it last year..strange and frustrating....

Yes a fantastic ride from Tom on Saturday...more to come methinks!

Also Nigel and Jason...they should be in the 52 or 53 area...just haven't had the right day..but they will!
  • Myself and Justin went to the VC10 club 10 in Tring, on the ultra fast F11/10.
    We both went out on a full recce of the course, as i wanted to avoid a repeat of last time (see above picture) and dodge all the potholes. I don't think Justin had ridden such a poor road surface in his life!
    The good news was we learnt where we need to ride to avoid the worst of the potholes. The bad news was in doing so i punctured my rear tub, at least it happened here and not on my timed run. Without a spare rear i guessed my riding was over.
    A very kind and helpful chap from Team Quest picked me up as i was walking on the hard shoulder, it turned out part of the reason he picked me up was he didn't know where the HQ was so i could help him out a bit too and direct him.

I run a 9 speed on my TT bike, i didn't think i would find anyone who would have a spare rear with this cassette but guess who did, Justin! So with his training wheel i got a ride, thank you!
    The wind wasn't the best, it was a slow night compared to others, the winner only did a 20.30 whereas before there have been 19's.
    Even so, and with a training wheel, i managed a new PB of 21:47.
    But even more impressive was Justin with a 21:18 and huge PB, an awesome time bearing in mind he's on a road bike with clip on's.
    So all in all a great night for us both.

The next event on here is an Open, it's a VTTA event but us youngsters are allowed in too, there are not special conditions to state only VTTA member can enter. It's on the 17th July at 2.30pm, an odd afternoon one which the VTTA like to do. I'll be taking the afternoon off and with a new tub trying to get nearer the 20's.
  • great rides from both of you.....! More to come from you guys too it seems.....am riding VTTA event and 21.59 would delight me the way I am at the moment......come on Justin ..sort that bike out and you'll be a 20 minute man for sure!
  • I'll try and make it down to the 17th... Half 2 on a Wednesday afternoon? Really?
  • Oh, and well done... Great times!
  • Will, yes it's definitely a 2.30pm start, they do that a few times, what else would retirees be doing on a Wednesday afternoon!
    But you have to enter in advance, old fashioned form and cheque, deadline to receive the entry is this Saturday 6th. CTT form HERE. Organiser and cost details HERE
  • Chris, are there any decent 10's prior to the Interclub 25? I'm after a fast 10 prior to going away!!
  • Luke - it's too late to enter any Open 10's, there aren't any local ones anyway, so it would have to be a club 10.
    When you say decent i assume you mean fast, rather than say a nice scenic route, you don't have time to admire any views anyway!
    For that I will always recommend the F11/10 at Tring. I bang on about it enough that it is fast. There is another VC10 club event here next Tuesday 9th.
    Your time last night was 8 seconds quicker than my best on our club course. On Tuesday night i did a 21:47 with a training wheel. So you get an idea of how quick you will be.
    Email me if you want more info (address in profile).

Apart from that, Team MK do their 10 on Monday's but the next one isn't a quick course, Welwyn Wheelers, Herts Wheelers and Whitwebbs CC run their 10's during the week around Hertford but they change the courses each week, so don't know if any of them are on a fast one (the F20/10) next week.
  • Cheers Chris, I'll have a dig through and decide. I'm gutted I'm leaving soon as I'm starting to enjoy the TT's more now. If I do Tring I am happy to give a lift to anyone else that fancies it.