but probably time to sort out the medium group
the club run is getting a big group and a bit quick
there is the geoff denny 100 mile next week so should be ok
( all together for that one )

Suggest week after we have some new group leaders to step forward
probably do on a rotor basis
( perhaps 2 each then pass on )
could do 1 for 2 hours 35 - 40 miles and 1 for 3 hours 50 miles

I am happy to do a couple ( 50 miles if weather ok )
who else ? don't be shy !
still at 17-18mph and wait at the top of hills
run today ( BH Mon ) was good fun 50 miles at 17mph

The medium group will not be including the nasty boys
( sorry chaps, one of the issues , a split later does not work )
and with the nice weather coming it is time for many of us to move up and allow a run new members can enjoy

What do you think?
Will you do a run?
If your name begins with Tim it must include you :-)

James
Chairman

Comments

• Vincent raised an interesting statement on another thread suggesting they were an alternative middle ride....I have ridden with that "medium" group and the 19 mph was over a longer distance than the genuine Middle group would be happy with and over hillier terrain.....to keep that average up they are riding harder and averagely 1-2mph faster than the Middle group can sustain.......It is mischievous to describe themselves as the "other" middle group.
    When I am up for a challenge it is good to try and hang in there with them, but I know that when I did they were being generous to me and waiting a bit on the hills...........

What James istrying to do is encourage the true medium riders in the club to ride a genuine middle ride, both in speed and distance so that there is a transitional ride between the club ride at 15-17mph and the Fast (nasties) at 19mph and above.

The middle ride is pitched at 17-19mph over 50-60 miles.with a suggestion of a second shorter ride as well on occasion if people have to get back early.

There are at least 12-14 riders regularly out on Sundays who could handle this Middle ride and it would allow Bob to run the club ride to suit those moving up to the Sunday ride without completely hacking them off.
    There are a lot of club members who for one reason or another have taken a break from the rides and are scared off by the overall level of fitness now on display.

I am happy to do a couple of routes at a genuine distance and pace to help him get this working. We have run 2 rides Sunday and Monday both like this and very good they were too. The weather helped enormously.
  • I suppose ill be alternating between fast and medium depending on how much time ive got.
    Im happy to take a medium group out on occasion, however i have a naturally defective in built sat-nav. and cannot guarantee we wont end up doing twice the planned distance! My sat-nav works quite well to the west of Peterborough, which is not terribly helpful for a medium ride.

It is important we dont flood the club run and we shouldnt get too hung up on average speeds, the weather and composition of the groups has a huge effect on average speed. Most people are now experienced enough to know if they`re in the wrong group. And really none of the regulars should be worried about going out with faster riders. Whats the worst that can happen? it hurts a bit and you might end up doing a few miles on your own.

The only way to get quicker is to ride with quicker riders. Its called the overload effect. You do not improve by riding the same distance at the same speed!
    Tim.
    ps, a great way of experiencing the overload effect and its benefits is to ride the club 10. IT WILL MAKE YOU FASTER!
  • The idea of everyone takes a couple of rides is to overcome the "sat-nav" issue
    most of us know a couple of routes well enough to take a group
    also think with "true medium " leaders more people will be happy to go along

Its a good trick to not tell the group the route
    they have to stick together then as only the leader knows the way

So as a "true medium leader" the run on monday worked well
    Occasional nasties of course can come along
    ( and do all the hard work )
    only the leader knows the route so they have to wait at the junctions
    ( or the group splits)

It is only fair on the "beginners" that we pick the medium group up again
    but many mediums have family committments afterwards ( ie jobs to do )
    so do not want to be chewing the handlebars

The nasties should not say they are medium
    by all means call yourselves something else
    but not slowing going up hills is not for most of us
    ( I regret to concede )

So again can I have a list of names for the medium group
    think we give geoff a rest for a few weeks and then take a turn
    I will do 2 / tim Ducket / any others ?
    I know who you medium boys are !

James
  • Stick me down on the True Middle Rota. I know a couple of 50-60 milers - and will remind Bob he was going to map out some of his rides at these distances. I can then digitize them and add them to the website ride list.

A reminder - if anyone wants to mapmyride a ride - I'll stick it on this list;
    http://www.ccashwell.com/rides.html

As to when - perhaps we could do a Doodle.com - like Tim's Club 10 marshal list.
  • All sounds very positive to me. I am more than happy to lead a group however my sat nav is worse than Tim D's!!! but as I have been vocal on this subject more than happy to do some homework!!

I think John meadows point on the other blog sum it up really, we have scared good guys off with the currant format of the club run! That in the long run is bad for the club. If I rewind 3 years to when I first joined and went with Bob it was a true club run and it hurt like hell BUT, I was looked after and brought home in one piece (well just about). I would never have survived or probably returned if it was half the distances & speeds of today. I think we should all remember that it can be daunting joining a club if you are not a hard core cyclist already!

8-)
  • All sounds good to me too..thanks James for the break....I'm more than committed with the work on Youth rides and Thursdays plus track at Welwyn.....happy to help out later..good on Skelders and Martin and Tim D......you'll have to change out of that big gear for once.hahaha...........who else I wonder......Bob's Geoff Denny this Sunday and I'm on a course the following week....happy middling to fair riding everyone.
  • i would be happy to help out with James's suggestion for a middle group and agree the Club run has become overpopulated. i have been enjoying the ride for a few weeks now but have got a bit fitter and need to move on.

i have a couple of training routes i would be happy to lead out. i could do this Sunday for those who can't make the 100 miler and 14th June.

James D
  • Martin
    like your idea of a Doodle.com so people can book themselves in
    can you set this up please

So can above volunteers book the dates they are available to lead group
    a few more names would be good
    I will be doing the 100 mile next week

James D for this sunday then ( 31st may )
    thanks for this

I am sure this will work
    can get the word out on sunday with 08.30 starters

James
  • Middle Group ride leader volunteers...

Please copy and paste into a new browser the link below to put your name to as many 50-60 mile, 17-19mph Sundays as you like for 2009 here;

http://tinyurl.com/middleride

cheers
  • Lookin good on the weather front for a middle group ride then this Sunday. We will be traversing the lump between Ashwell and Barway etc looping round through Nuthampstead, Barley, Royston, back up the heath (oooh nooo) and then rounding up with a quickie through the Mordens... Bring a bar and banana as the lumps are bound to sap the legs.
  • Thanks Martin
    link works a treat
    3 leaders now on site ( 2 rides each )
    need about 5-6 more

James