Welcome to the forum

Hitchin Noddies Sportive

FDFD
edited May 2013 in Sportives
80 miler today in great conditions...plenty of riders out...managed to get around the course in 4hours 30mins...so didn't disgrace the Ashwell colours. Shame it clashed with the Primavera road race, as it was a decent event, well signed with 2 feed stations and lovely quiet roads. Good training for the Ride London event in August. The fitness is slowly coming!!!

Comments

• That's a good time, indeed.
    I need to ride more oft' with you to bring my own ride-fitness up a notch me thinks.
  • Well, my provisional 'elapsed' time has come through at 4 hours 56mins 55 secs, including 2 stops at the feed stations, where I fuelled up on the gels, drinks and bars! 4 hours 29mins 34 secs was my actual riding time, according to the Garmin, so 17.8mph for 80 miles when moving! I'm reasonably happy with that, for my first ever sportive and riding mostly solo, but now wish I hadn't spent so much time scoffing and had just got on with it! The first rider home was 3 hours 51 mins, or 20.8mph, so presumably he didn't stop for refuelling. There were some with tri bars who were deadly serious and I noticed a certain reluctance by many to share the duties at the front of a group of riders...I kept looking around and seeing a few glued to my wheel...not that I was going that fast!
  • Report link on sportive below.

'The 80 mile route proved to be tough going in places. For the uninitiated the climb at around 40 miles from Hexton to the approaches of Lilley saw many reaching for the 28 tooth sprocket.'....I would have gone lower if I'd had a 30 sprocket!!

'The terrain around Hertfordshire may not be mountainous but it was certainly taxing and the area around Bennington and Walkern was a point for many on both routes where their resolve became tested'....agreed!

http://hitchinnomads.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/sportive-provisional-timings.html
  • Official release from Go Beyond Ultra.....accompanying picture is of bunch of CCA riders climbing what looks like Hexton Hill....must be last year's pic!!

http://gobeyondultra.co.uk/downloads/2013Report_Sportive.pdf