Welcome to the forum

ELV road race, 26.05.13

edited May 2013 in Road Racing
Just got back from Hatfield Heath after an unexpectedly sunny morning of racing. From the start you could tell the difference between the 3/4 and the 2/3/4 racing, the bunch seemed a lot steadier and less erratic. A break got away early on, with only 3 guys in it, followed by us swamping them back up, nothing really happened after that till the group split in 2 after a (small, but nonetheless painful) hill, with 18 riders heading off the front and building a gap of 30 seconds. After much shouting, the back group managed to organise ourselves into a spot of through and off, pulling back the front group after a couple of laps of hard, hard work.

Last lap predictably sped up a fair bit with myself, a guy from the crest and north road velo making a break for it 5k before the end, getting a bit of distance for a few km but then usurped by the pack winding up for the group sprint at the finish. Not sure who won, but I managed to finish in the pack (only locking bars once with a guy from FRT) and clocked it at a shade under 70 miles at a shade under 26mph. Ouch.

All fun and games, can't wait for more...

Comments

• those stats are scary. nice one!
  • Nice one Will, fair play for going for the break in a race like that.
    How's the legs feeling? Think your up to another one in the morning?
  • No way... Was up at half 5 to get there on time this morning, working till late last night. I think I need a lie in. Maybe a very, very easy tootle around the roads for an hour or so tomorrow. Definitely not a race...
  • Haha yea fair enough mate
  • oooh, finished 23 out of about 45 to finish, so not too bad! middle of the pack, again... quite a few DNFs there too, so was doing well to stay with it!