Welcome to the forum

1st Cat4 race. Dunsfold Park.

edited June 2013 in Road Racing
I tried a Cat4 race this evening, Friday 14th, 10 laps of the Top Gear runways, a total of 30 miles.
No doubt those who took to the front worked hard against the head wind, but back in the pelaton, 22 / 23 mph saw me freewheeling a lot.

So I used my time to explore the track, staying on the left for a lap, staying on the right for a lap etc to better asses the tarmac for when the madness started.

Last lap, correction, last 500m it heated up with a 200m straight demanding the obligatory sprint.
It was predicted and right on cue, 100m or so from the line, a huge crash, as per last week I am told, so I went grass tracking to escape the carnage.

30 mins later the ambulance arrived, with bodies still out on the tarmac.

Much muttering & gnashing of teeth from the seasoned racers about the appalling standard of riding from many this evening, and also in general in Cat4 racing & what can be done about it with ill disciplined triathletes coming in for much spite & venom.

Much like the race, I just watched and listened and learnt. Being middle / back, there's a lack of fluency, but with an overseas trip looming large, I wanted the experience, not jeopardy nor the points (!).

Comments

• Sounds like a bit of a mess. I was still going to race with my brother to help him get his last few points ad we only decided to abandon late afternoon. We had a nice power session around Dorney Lake instead.

Lucky escape by the sound of it
  • "Much like the race, I just watched and listened and learnt." Wonderful. I always thought racing was supposed to be fun!

Glad you have the experience now? I'd say that being in the middle/back of the back puts you in more jeopardy than being at the front, more people to get in your way when they fall off. Will you be trying one more before you trip? Fancy going up to Elveden for the 4th cat only race in a couple of weeks time? It's a lovely circuit and was mostly well behaved last time...
  • edited June 2013
    That looks pretty much the same as my first experience of Cat 4 at Elvedon earlier this year.

Being at the back
    Lack of fluency
    Riding around the crashes
    Listening to the moans about ill disciplined triathletes. Not sure how true this is though as the few that I have spoken too ride with chain gangs/group rides with there local cycle clubs as well.

Guessing the main difference between Dunsfold and Elvedon would be the width of the tracks. (Narrow at Elvedon)

I would agree with Will though. Much harder in the pack and yes Elvedon was better last time although there was a wheel touch on the line which had a rider down http://elvedencycleraces.com/2013/06/13/er4-4th-cat-finish/

Stuart
  • edited June 2013
    Will.
    I had planned to take a day's race license up at MK this week, the weather forecast was poor and that evening, a bottle of Moet hoved-to on the horizon....
    If I am still around, I'll consider it though, up at Elvington.
    Looking forward to the chaingang on Tuesday and see if I can't keep up .
    Right now I am just waiting on a skip and removals team to help clear my house before handing the keys over to the new owners next week.