Welcome to the forum

Sunday Club ride 9am?

edited June 2013 in Club runs
Just wondering if anyone is taking a steady 9am club ride this Sunday (40 ish 15-16ish). It's my first Sunday out and I was really looking forward to acquainting myself with Captain Pugwash and his crew but then I saw the weather and thought 50 at 17 in 19mph winds might be a push for me!

Comments

• Hi Gwen,
    not sure if i can make it out tomorrow, will if i can but probably doubtful. Anyone else?
  • afraid i am not around either. shame, could do with the miles.
    would be great if someone else could come up with a route?
  • edited June 2013
    http://app.strava.com/activities/59236913
    I've ridden it a few times, some of it, quite a lot (Sandon - Haydon - Ickleton) and it goes out pretty much due east, it's naturally a flowing ride, with some 48.3miles distance, 2,141ft of elevation and last took me 2:40:12 non-stop at an 18 average.
    I think people are aok with some hill work at the juncture in the season, though there are no big hill climbs, more a roller coster of small inclines over an interesting route.
    Happy to take it if no one else lines up.

Tim
  • Thanks TF - I might be up for that one at a steady pace in the howling summer gales. I'll turn up at 9am and see who's about. Cheers!
  • should be able to make it along tomorrow; looks as though the wind (and rain) will be from the south east so heading west initially would probably make sense
  • The route goes SE to Sandon, then E / NE over the M11, to Ickleton, then it zig-zags back under the M11, then S, W, S, W, N, W.
    Unless you go mtn biking in the woods, any ride is going to be fairly blustery.

Forecast for a dry morning and mid day:
  • I'll be there tomorrow, the route advertised looks good for me
  • Looks a good route, but remember the club run is advertised as Gwen says above, at 40 miles, 15-17. Just be aware that someone stepping up from the shorter rides might get a shock and it being the club run you should look after and ride at the pace of the slower riders.
  • edited June 2013
    I can shorten it as required late-on by not turning left out o' Shaftenhoe. Taking out 3.3 miles, and a climb.

I did a recce yesterday of another short cut through Littlebury, taking out another 2.4 miles.
    http://app.strava.com/activities/61912445

These 2hr rides are my local training routes, though the further you push out from Sandon / Ashwell due east, the fewer options are open to you. The flip side is, on ones own, you get to explore more of the county and if it's a lovely evening, with a med / low sun, the options to make it a 3hr++ ride open up - mid summer, when the wheat and barley is golden, this is one of the finest rides I know.

It's the only ride (Sandon - M11 - Sandon) I can think of that is as varied and interesting as a simple out-and-back along the same roads. It never bores me.

Of all the rides locally that I have been on since joining the club, this one (the full 48 miles) I will miss the most. It'd be nice to share with others on Sunday.

I can thus take a view on both these shot cuts when we near them.
    Would that suffice?
  • Sounds great, just tailor it to suit who is out
  • edited June 2013
    http://app.strava.com/activities/62289323
    That's one of the hill climbs less than the other link, but the route we planned to ride.

Time 03:00:25
    (+3 small stops)
    Max Speed 43.2mi/h
    Avg Speed 14.7mi/h

44.3miles & 2,030ft of elevation

One to ride and savour in the mid summer when the land is golden and the harvest not yet underway.
  • Nice ride, apart from the rhythm section that I had to bring along...