Welcome to the forum

Elvedon 5 - the view from the back

edited July 2013 in Road Racing
Noah Jackie and I all took part in the final Elvedon race on Saturday.

This has been my first experience of road racing and I have enjoyed my first 4 races at Elvedon. Its popularity seems to have waned a little (just over 70 4th cats as opposed to 100 in the first races) which is a bit of a shame. Lots of punctures and some nasty crashes in the first few races have I think put people off. I think they hopeful about running the series again next year.

I have steadily improved my times which considering I have been on my 1x9 CX bike which is hugely under geared for road racing is a bit of an achievement. I did on the last race manage to keep with the pack for just over 2 laps and was hopeful I might do the same again. Not to be though. Dropped before end of lap 1 and lapped with half a mile to go. I had actually done my best time but the pack came roaring past my little group of 8 who had been working together. The main field had averaged over 26mph.

I will do some more RR I think if anyone can recommend any 4th cat race in particular I would be happy to hear about it.

Jackie and Noah also had there best races, again on converted CX bikes. Jackie hung on for 5 laps and came 14th

Stuart

Comments

• The Corley League at Milton Keynes Bowl on Thursdays at 18.00 is a good gentle intro to 4th cat racing. Smallish fields (cca 25) decent standard of riding, and not a lot of crashes. The pace doesn't tend to be too high either. And because we're affiliated, it's only a tenner a pop - bargain.

Sign on the day, so no need to plan ahead.
  • ^ is that the thursday evening one?
  • Good going Jackie.......getting round on your CX bike is harder work for sure as it seems everyone is on ultra light carbon bikes these days ..you do have the form though especially with that great 10 you did last week...

Road racing is more up and down with more changes of pace than TT'ing so it is a case of more races to allow the body to adapt....There is also a ladies race at Hillingdon every 2 weeks from next Wednesday .. fast race that is possible to hang on with good positioning...

I am a big believer in doing both disciplines...they help each other and it is only a matter of time and that you will find you are not getting dropped in the RR's...Then you will be moving up and who knows ,with your strength be challenging for the top spots...

Keep at it Jackie...it will come right...Could be time for an early Christmas present..you deserve one!