Welcome to the forum

Mildenhall Rally Grass Track

edited August 2013 in Road Racing
A great afternoon's racing, with CC Ashwell very strong in U8, U10, U12 and U14 age categories in the Omnium. Look at that U8 podium - all CCA riders... Some great results in the bonus scratch races at the end of the day too.

Well done everyone, and thanks to Max for another excellent promotion.

Mark F

Comments

• edited August 2013
    .mildenhall rally poduim.

mildenhall podium

here's a couple of pictures from todays racing, theo cam and myself road in the senior A mens omnium, fought hard to get into the the final of the sprints but the butch men had the the better legs on the day. we did the team sprint and came 6th overall, not bad for a bunch of endurance juniors, but then the team pusuit came, i knew we could do well, but not as well as we did, we all buried ourselves and set the record of the day untill vc raffle came along ( they did have a 4 up ) so we got into the final, riding for gold medal, out of about 8-10 teams , i wasn't getting any chest pain which was good, so i dug in, we did the best we could do and came away with a silver medal against a four up of semi professional men who had 2 national titles in there team.

we'll get them tomorrow
  • Fighting talk! Go Jon, Theo, Cam!
  • That's excellent - very well done to all three of you. I saw how well the VC St Raphael and Stourbridge CC riders were going earlier in the afternoon, so you must have been really shifting in the team pursuit.
  • thanks Jane and Mark
  • Well done Jon, Theo and Cam - sounds like a tough race.

Like Mark said earlier, the youth racing on Saturday was great - really good racing from all the Ashwell riders. As well as the results shown in the pics above, in the U10s both Archie and Jensen (sp?) got into sprint finals, Archie won the block handicap and Jensen was third in the scratch race at the end. The U12s and U14s had some good races too but I'm afraid I wasn't able to keep track with who was placed where - sorry!

It was a proud day for all the Ashwell spectators!

Thanks again to Max & co.
  • I've got a full list of results from the Mildenhall Website. This will be in next weeks papers

Well done all
  • Matt,

N.B. A couple of our riders aren't shown as CCA members on the Mildenhall Rally site's results page. They are:-

Youth D Under 10
    15. Jensen Martin - CC Ashwell

Youth B Under 14
    30. Richard Chennels - CC Ashwell

Thanks for taking care of the club's Press activity once again.

Mark
  • And I'm shown as a Welwyn Wheeler in the U14 category. Honestly, I haven't defected!

Gareth Lewis - CC Ashwell
  • Go on Gareth, write a quick report of what you thought of Mildenhall Rally and the grass track racing there. It might encourage others to take the plunge at the CCA event on 14th Sept. :)
  • Great. Thanks guys
  • N.B. The cyclocross results have been added to the Mildenhall Rally results page. Lots of good CCA performances again, including one from "Jen Chapman" :)
  • I attended all 3 days of this event. Without doubt all our CCA racers rode well. There was a lot of learning going on with some of our newer riders and they need to learn to hold back a little in the heats so they have enough left for the final. Having said that, unless they do well enough in the heats they won't be in the final. An old conundrum all racers are aware of.
    It was a joy to see nearly 80 young riders from every part of the country on Saturday race full on all day. The future of cycling is secure at this rate. One race sticks in my mind when Oliver Woolsey led a 3 lap race with 5 riders from Welwyn desperately trying to close the gap to him and all failing because none of them shared the work to close the gap.
    This in stark contrast to the way our 3 juniors Jon, Theo and Cameron rode. Their pursuit and team sprint events were almost text book. If only they had a fourth rider for the pursuit their time would have been closer to the winners.
    It would be unfair to pick out any one rider as they all raced to the limit of their fitness and ability. Well done all of you.

I am hoping to see a full turn out of CCA on sept. 14th. No excuses everyone. It is OUR event so make sure you have entered on line. Save yourselves some entrance fee and save Max and Sandra the work of entering you on the day.
  • This weeks Crow

Crow_05092013
  • Great story Matt!
  • Yes, many thanks for sorting this Matt, its brilliant!