Welcome to the forum

CYCLO CROSS 2013, a few basics

edited September 2013 in Road Racing
A few people have been asking about CX so i thought id put a few details here and if anyone has any questions they can ask here.

The CX season starts this weekend and runs through to February ish. It is off road, massed start racing on varied terrain usually doing several laps of a shortish course.
It is suitable for all age groups and there are categories from under 10 to over 65.
You do not need any great experience or fitness just a willingness to get muddy!
Most use cyclo cross bikes but mountain bikes or even a hybrid with knobbly tyres are fine.
The races vary in length from 15 minutes for the little ones upto 1hour for the seniors

CCA is on the western fringes of the Eastern Cyclo Cross League which run 14 rounds throughout the year. CCA's round is round 3 and is at Knight Templar in Baldock on the 21st Sept.
All details of the league can be found here Eastern League.

Currently we have about 30 riders from CCA signed up to the league. All this means is that those riders accumulate league points but you dont have to join the league to have a go, just turn up. I think im right in saying that kids dont even need a race licence.

The central cyclo cross league is just to the west of us with lots of events nearby in places such as Luton and Bedford.

Generally speaking its good family fun and a little less intimidating than starting in track or road. The events and the league are very well run with everyone getting a finishing position.

Please just ask if you want to know any more, there are plenty of experienced CX ers in the club. A good place to start would be to come and have a look at our home event on the 21st. It also makes for a good spectator sport so hope to see plenty of our club in Baldock.

Comments

• So who's heading down to Basildon this Saturday?
  • Yep, me in the over 45's and my Alfie and Archie Foulkes in the under 12's. There will be quite a few CCA i think

You're in the seniors and young vet arent you Vam? Youll be racing with Theo!...good luck with that!
  • edited September 2013
    The Fields will be there racing in 4 different Cats and I know Mark W is racing.

Possibly Vincent and James as well.

Stuart
  • I am having a go but how do i enter. Is it a) on the line or b) BC website.

Hopefully a few other over 40's too:)
  • Quite a turn out! See you all there and good luck!

Entry on the day James.
  • i think ollie, theo, bryn and my self will be going
  • Enter on the day at the venue. Details on the Eastern CX site. If you want to be a member of the league (not compulsory) to get points and cheaper entry you have to do that via BC.

Stuart