Welcome to the forum

Devil Ride, 12 July

edited June 2009 in Sportives
Hello

I'm a new member looking to do some hilly summer sportives in preparation for a September ride in the Alps. With that in mind, I've booked a place for the Devil Ride on 12 July (see http://www.cyclosportives.co.uk/devilHome.htm) and wondered whether anyone else from the club was planning on doing it.

Adam

Comments

• Adam,
    I am not planning to ride this event, but I did ride it last year. An excellent route with just the right amount of chellenging hills, delightful valleys and fast descents. The organisation is excellent to boot. I hope you have a fine day out!
    Daniel
  • Thanks, Daniel. I'm up for some more over the summer. Are you planning on doing any others?

Adam
  • For the Sportives I am doing I start a new dicussion in the sportive section. When others say they will ride that event I add their name to the top entry. So in the case of the Devil Ride you, Adam, are the anchor man and so please update (edit) the first entry to reflect if anyone else is joining it.

To anyone thinking about the Devil Ride sportive I THOROUGHLY recommend it. The route is stunning, just the right amount of climbing on a really satisfying and interesting route. The scenery is stunning and the organisation excellent. You don't even have to wear a suit that makes you look naked!

Back to your question. My next venture is The Rydale Rumble, see the Sportive Section. I think Dave Jones the Treasuer was thinking about Wild Edric http://www.kilotogo.com/ which is the same weekend as the Rydale event.
  • How did the ride go Adam?
    Daniel
  • Hi Daniel

It was great, if gusty and wet. Got a solid silver (6h 52m) which for me is quite good. Really, really lovely scenery and a terrific and varied course. Didn't care quite so much for the actual staircase: a 25% climb (as steep as 38% at one point) that made me want to spew followed by an equally steep gravel-laden plummet that made me want to...eject other bodily fluids. I also made the mistake of eating ten Jaffa cakes at the first feed station and felt somewhat dodgy for the rest of the ride. I'll learn, but when someone puts an enormous crate of nice stuff in front of you...

But overall, really good fun and I wore club colours with pride. Can't wait for the next one.