Welcome to the forum

Shaftesbury CC RR

edited September 2013 in Road Racing
Out early for the Shaftesbury CC road race. 2/3/4, 70 miles on a flat circuit out of Roxwell, near Chelmsford.

A nice bright start this morning, legs still aching from yesterdays attempt at grass track... Just Pete and myself raced, Carmelo didn't get in on the line, but did see him getting the miles in on the 2nd or 3rd lap...

Absolutely blistering first lap, very quick pace saw a few riders drop off the back at the end of the lap, an early break went off and stayed away for a while as the pace of the pack calmed down considerably for a couple of laps. After having a couple of digs I decided that I was just going to sit in the pack for this race and finish in the bunch sprint as my legs were feeling far from fresh. As the wind picked up, riders from PCH split the race a couple of times, but it gathered back till the last lap where a small break went off the front split as the original break was caught. I just sat in and picked a big wheel to follow till the last straight, where traffic caused the pack to slow several times, shooting off at pace as people tried to get in a good position for the sprint. I gave it a kick at the end, but only to keep up with the pack as we caught the last stragglers from the front group on the line.

A guy from PCH won out of a break of 3, followed by 2 or 3 riders on their own before the bunch crossed the line.

Pete got to wave the flag... Every cloud...

Glad to finish as the wind really started to pick up, enjoyed trying to keep a good position in the pack and staying off the front in what seemed like a much safer race than the last couple of 3/4s out this way.