Welcome to the forum

3 Peaks 2013

edited September 2013 in Road Racing
Er...well that was different!
600 riders left Helwith Bridge on the road and it starts fast, after about 3 miles turn left and then the mayhem started. For the rest of the day there were very few parts where it was in any way sensible to have, let alone attempt to ride a bicycle. Climbing up long 45 degree slopes with the bike on your shoulders, trying and often failing to ride through peat bogs, barely able to follow a flat track on the top of Whernside because the wind was so strong. And then the descents,...terrifying. Wet limestone steps, boulders, stone drainage ditches and steep tracks that resembled river beds. All stunning scenery and the National Park have made lovely mountain tracks but clearly at no point with the idea in mind that anyone will be riding bicycles up there.

It was hard but we all finished. Fortunately the weather was good. It really was a privilege to be a part of such a historic race and there were some fantastic parts like coming off a really hard, scary descent of Whernside and then dropping down to the Ribblehead viaduct on a lovely cinder track where there were hundreds of spectators all cheering and ringing cow bells. The crowds and supporters were fantastic and the spirit of the race wonderful , everyone helping each other and giving encouragement. The final climb up Pen y Ghent was really tough, i couldnt ride much of it and was reduced to walking at a snails pace all the while watching the leaders coming back down the same track with speed and skills that have to be seen to be believed.

The last 2 mile road section to the finish i was fried and was failing to keep up with a small group in front. The next thing i hear was a rider next to me say.."ey up love, com on we can t'catch them in t'front if we work together" i reluctantly agree, look over and see a little yorkshire woman in her 60's!
They are a very tough bunch them from t'Dales!

Comments

• Well done you tough nuts!

It has been a weekend of CC Ashwell craziness, what with you lot 3peaking and half the Field family trying not to die at Hadleigh Farm!

The sensible CCA contingent went to Hogg Hill, collecting 2nd for Theo, 4th for Jackie and 5th for me.

I think there were some results in the morning races too, but I missed those.
  • Well done Tim, sounds like you enjoyed yourself - in a perverse way that is - and watch out for those little old ladies overtaking you
  • 3 peaks CX 29 Sept 2013

The highlights for me were;

Being part of a mass start of 600 riders blasting along the lanes at top speed heading for the climb of simon fell

Looking up from the lower slopes of whernside and seeing the “snake” of riders that stretched fully from bottom to top

Being overtaken by Daniel coming off whernside and following his wheel down a couple of very “brave” drop off’s

Reaching the top of pen y ghent and knowing all I had to do was survive the descent – it is a very quick way to improve your bike handling skills

Finishing……………in 5hrs 30mins

Thanks to Daniel for the inspiration and “notice on the forum” earlier this year which got me/us into the ballot and a place, his advice on tyres and brakes and Camelbaks etc – think I would still be coming off inglebrough if I hadn’t put some koolstops in!!

And thanks for the encouragement on the last leg up PYG from both Daniel and Tim
  • I was quite frankly thrilled to take 56 minutes off my 2012 time. The CCA riders did the club proud, 5h12 for Tim, 5h22 for me and Phil 5h32.

I went over the handlebars early on at the base of the first climb. Despite falling into a soft bog (to applause) I did injury my ribs in some way. This was no more than annoying until the last descent (Pen-y-gent and Pen-y-gent lane) when I was in agony. Pen-y-gent lane comprises ‘gravel’ ranging in size from 5cm diameter to 25cm; it is very hard to cope with going up (2mph) or down (50mph, well that’s what it feels like).

Great having clubmates around and a real boost to finally hook up with Phil at the bottom of Whernside. The wind on top was very, very strong. I couldn’t ride the path at the top.

We met Darren Myers of Bishops Stortford CC (and Eastern League rider) the day before and he advised us ‘go left on the descent of Whernside’. Good advice indeed. As it turned out I finished a couple of minutes behind him for the second year, but to be fair on Darren that was only because he punctured this year.
    My work colleagues Dave and Sarah did really well. Dave missing going under 4 hours by just 30 seconds and Sarah knocking 52 minutes off her 2012 time and getting 9th place in the Women’s race.

Of course I don’t want to ride it every again, but that’s because I am hurting right now. No doubt I will be planning a return. It is a charming event full of warmth and respect for everyone involved, oh, and it’s reet ‘ard.

Daniel
  • Wow..! Epic Tim..but you have done it...one to add to your many cycling experiences ..sounds so 'ARD!
  • That is a seriously hard ride....I found it a slog just hiking in the area and up Pen y Ghent last summer!

John
  • John, get that cx bike. i suspect there will be quite a few cca next year. The planning and murmerings of intent have already begun!
  • edited October 2013
    Ribblehead:
    Tim
    Daniel
    Phil

(Having a quick nap)
  • After having read these reports I can honestly say

I'm in.

well done everyone!
  • Best. Forum post. Ever.
  • just spat me tea all over the laptop...thanks Theo
  • Nice one Theo, truly sinister.

Well done chaps, epic doesn't look like it comes close.

I don't think I'll ever look at Tim in the same light, thanks again Theo.
  • The big picture of Simons Fell (from the Cycling Weekly website)
    Simons Fell
  • Now that is a seriously tempting target for 2014 Tim, to go alongside l'Alpe d'Huez! Now, to get over this broken wrist and start training.....

John
  • Well done you guys !! Awesome achievement.

I ran ( well, I say ran - there was a fair amount of walking and crawling involved!) the 3 Peaks Fell race a couple of years ago and that was difficult enough without having to carry a bike half way around!!

Alan
  • What?!! youve done all that WITHOUT a bike?

right, you are on the list for 3 peaks 2014 then.
  • Respect! To CX-ers and fell-runners alike
  • FDFD
    edited January 2014
    Bringing this back to the top...after a brief discussion with Dave H on the Letchworth greenway this week, we've both walked it, but how about a possible 'cross target for 2014? who's in for this year? Jamie?!

John
  • I believe there may be rather a lot of us going this year.
  • Applications open on June 1st...
  • I see I have been name checked....

This may be the sort of mad challenge that I'd go for. Picking up new cross cum winter bike today, so no promises but looks like a fun challenge

J
  • Jamie, hope your new (Felt?) cross bike has been worth the wait and gives you further inspiration for the Roubaix ride later this year. Should be good training for the 3 Peaks?!

John
  • simons fell looks truly horrific
  • you wouldn't want a heavy clunker for that ride...good luck to anyone mad enough
  • Simons fell is just a field on the side of a mountain, its a very lovely place. Just not a place in any way suitable for a bicycle.

Actually, the climbs are just hikes albeit with a bike. The road bits are just road bits, but the descents if you had a choice of bike you would choose a full suspension MTB. You can gain huge time here if you can descend well and also really hurt yourself if you cant. something i will try to work on for 2014.
  • When I walked the three peaks a few years ago I thought it was the hardest thing I'd ever done. Then I started racing cross and thought that was maybe the hardest thing I could do. So combining the two!

The thought of descending Whernside on a cross bike makes me shiver.
  • Yes, it made me shiver alright!