Welcome to the forum

Cyclo cross round 6, Colchester

edited October 2013 in Road Racing
well it was an awful morning and i thought not many riders would turn up for round 6. Wrong. full field again. These cx ers dont seem bothered by a bit of rain. In fact apparently a lot of them like these sort of conditions.

Anyway it was flippin slippy, slidy, muddy, squermy. I squealed quite a lot and did a lot of foot out motocross style riding but was quite fun and had stopped raining by the vets race. No results up yet but well done CCA for braving the elements especially the kids whose enthusiasm and ability never ceases to amaze me.

Comments

• Tim, as the region's top club CC Ashwell has its own private results service of course (for U8/10 and U12 anyway)... :)

Both events were exciting. The course still wasn't properly set up when the U10 race started using it so the entire field rode through the pits on the first lap... And then throughout the U12 race quite a few riders had a little lie down on the corners.

Mark
  • Well done to all that raced today.

I only saw the under 12's as I was trying to fix a stripped seat clamp to no avail. Looked like a good race. Mr Duckett had the better of me today (again on this course) not helped by falling off twice. Still that number could have been much greater as very squirmy out there today.

Noah was a bit disappointed with his race but he did well considering he had to ride my bike at last minute. First time he has been on it.

Jackie came in 4th lady (2nd vet woman) and was pleased her rear tub stayed on because it had just been glued up by a novice.

Spent the test of the afternoon on clean up duty - now have half of Hilly Fields on my drive.

Stuart
  • edited October 2013
    Squermy indeed. Colds alflicted several of the Junior riders, so in fact no CCA Juniors rode. Having missed last week's due to a crushed ribcage* I wasn't going to miss this epic. Having ridden half a practice lap I went back to th HQ to get my money back. No chance. I got some good advice from Rebecca Maynard and I did race and did enjoy it (thanks Rebecca). Tough though. It dried out during my race and went from 'wet squermy' to 'moist squermy'.

John raced well (and leads the elite vets league) and this is a great omen for his new born daughter - congratulations John.

For a change I had the right tyre pressure, but perhaps the wrong tyre thread!

Results now on-line HERE

Daniel

*Hurty chest from falling off my bike.
  • Thanks Daniel, it was a bit challenging today :D

I had a comedy of errors day today, which included missing the gridding at the start, wrapping myself up in course tape on a run up, coming to a standstill in the deepest mud bog on the course and keeling over sideways for a near total immersion, riding past the pits thinking this bike is handling very strangely, and not realising I had a front puncture which meant I had to ride the whole of the outback singletrack on a flat front tub.

All in all, somewhat surprised to have finished in 4th and with prize money too.

Little Maud is obviously very proud :)
  • Streuth, your finishing position would not suggest the problems you had. great stuff VP. And John and Jackie are now league leaders in their categorys!

Glad to see you back Daniel and glad they wouldnt give you your money back! Shame the juniors are all ill.

I havent seen the club standings yet, or am i looking in the wrong place?
  • Really enjoyed todays race to be honest! Eventhough half of the course was a complete mud bath after the Vets raced, I did like it. Stopped raining before my race which was good, however I know it was still raining for the U10's.

Senior/Junior/Elite Veteran

16 John Polak
    55 Daniel Doncaster
    56 Shelton Pell

Women

4 Jackie Field
    8 Lindsey Foulkes

Veteran

31 Tim Duckett
    33 Stuart Field

Youth

17 Gareth Lewis
    22 Noah Field

U12

4 Adam Lightfoot
    9 James Fraser
    13 Harley Pell (1st Girl Overall)
    16 Archie Foulkes

U10

6 Mark Lightfoot
    13 Sam Quiggin
    15 Archie Bracewell

Well done to all CCA riders!
    Gareth
  • edited October 2013
    Great reports and stunning results again.

Lovely news John and amazing you are still in the saddle:)

Very much missed it today. Trying to work out a plan to make it next week as I had to make do with an hour thrashing around the greenway this afternoon. There was a benefit - getting chased by an off the lead Doberman which saw a serious interval effort around mile 9. If that doesn't pay back I'll be well fed up. Getting greasy. Pick your lines carefully:)
  • And let's not forget Mark Lightfoot leading the U10 category too. That's CCA riders leading three out of eight Eastern League categories. Quite a feat.
  • Wow, sorry Mark, missed that one. Brilliant stuff.
  • What fear looks like!
    Colchester fear
  • have to hand it to you Daniel...well done all the club. that's what cycling is all about. Team spirit, inclusiveness, all ages enjoying the sport, developing skills and braving the elements. Getting up when hurt or down and getting to the end.
    I am loving the reports and riders perspectives. Think I will plan a cyclocross course on my farm in Durham for you all to try out.
  • Fear? Surely not!
    That's the Daniel-face I see a lot of the time - getting into the spirit of things. More like a 'no-fear' face
  • Looks like you are singing a hymn to me. I imagine " bread of heaven"!
  • edited October 2013
    More like "if your happy and you know it"

The gloves clash a bit though. I'll see if Kit can sort you out a coordinated pair :)
  • You are still remarkably clean in that pic Daniel :D

I was head to toe mud by lap 2.
  • As I was (apparently) singing hymns it is important to keep ones cassocks clean.

However it’s a good point John, I need to be more brave and be prepared to tackle tricky terrain head first.

Daniel