Welcome to the forum

Anyone been to Dalby Forest?

edited October 2013 in Cyclocross/Offroad
Ive got a trip up to t'North York Moors soon and was planning to take the CX bikes. I know there is a trail centre in Dalby Forest and just wondered if anyone has been there recently?
are the trails suitable for CX rather than MTB? and kid friendly?

Comments

• edited October 2013
    I have been there a couple of times and like most trail centres there is something for everyone. Nice even trails of varying 'technicalness' so you can ride anything from normal bikes up to a full blown DH course. CX bikes will work on some bits but probably not suited to the any of the RED trails unless you fancy getting bounced around.

You can download a trail map from Forestry Commission website

A huge trail centre with bike shop, caf
  • Tim, having ridden the 3 Peaks Cyclocross no terrain can bother you. Indeed it is your duty to ride every RED trail and uphold your office of 3 Peaks Cyclocross Veteran and the honour of our club.

I look forward to the video from the downhill runs.

Daniel
  • tim

daniel is as ever correct, but what he forgot to mention was that they shall be ridden wearing proper cycling atire and not those strange "baggies" that those "rad" mtb types choose to use - you will be putting a peak on your helmet next!!!

phil k
  • Ha, thanks chaps. You will be pleased to know that i dont own any baggies and will attempt to uphold club and roadie honour by not ending up in a muddy heap!

Thanks for the map link James, looks great. Im particularly looking forward to the sections called "sand D' Huez", "oblivion" and somewhat curiously "E31 London Borough of Islington"
  • Tim - great road riding around the area as well; my question is 'why chose?'

Enjoy,
    Adam
  • Well, i can report back that Dalby forest is fantastic!

Me and the kids were the only riders there with CX bikes, most were in baggy shorts on full suspension things and did look at us a little oddly. I did a full lap of the red route on my own and it was a blast, 22 miles of mostly singletrack but very varied, steep climbs, twisty bits, rocky bits, bits that were like being on a roller coaster, the odd bit of boardwalk and virtually all rideable. I did bottle out on a couple of short rocky descents (fortunately there was no one around to hear my little screams) but im sure better descenders than me could manage it. It took me 2 and a quarter hours but felt like about an hour as it was such fun. A part of the red route shared parts of and intersected with the black world cup circuit and that looked very tough. big boulders and all. Certainly beyond a CX bike i think.

The kids found the red route a bit too much, too steep and a bit too technical although Alfie did do about 5 miles of it. They found the blue and green routes boring as it was mostly forest cinder tracks but really enjoyed the little bike park and boardwalk area.

Also some great moorland tracks and dissused railway lines up on the moors. Didnt get to do a lot of it but would love to explore more. (yes, great roads too)
    Maybe a club trip to the Moors one day would be in order.