Welcome to the forum

Male Cancer charity ride

edited June 2009 in General
Is anyone else interested..I have expressed an interest since I am the target age for much of this stuff.......It is a slog but reasonably easy daily chunks.......I need to raise £400..how about chipping in and any surplus above £400 goes towards our grass track for the club?? any takers??

details here........not keen on the suits though

Thank you for getting back to me. I am glad you are thinking about taking the challenge.
In reference to the suit, it is a skin coloured cycling suit provided for every rider, the suits are being made especially for this event and are produced to give the effect of near nakedness.
On average, the route planned will be around 60 miles apart from the last 2 days which are a 80 mile bike ride. However, an alternative longer route can be arranged for cyclists in the afternoon who wish to further challenge themselves.
We are looking for 14 males who have the fitness levels to complete the challenge.
The route is as follows.
Arrive Sunday 16th August in the evening at South Shields, Newcastle.
Monday 17th August, Cycle from South Shields Newcastle to Carlisle, with lunch break on the way.
Tuesday 18th August, cycle from Carlisle to Creetown, Newton Stewart, again stopping for lunch after 40mile mark.
Wednesday 19th August. Board Boat to Belfast and then cycle to Cookstown, Ireland.
Thursday 20th August. Cycle to Bundoran, Republic of Ireland, with lunch on the way.
Friday 21st August. Cycle to Castlebar, with lunch on the way.
Saturday 22nd August. Cycle to the Lansarmstrong foundation global cancer sumitt in Galway. With lunch on the way.
Sunday 23rd August. All cyclists and supporters will be taken to Dublin for a photo shoot before catching the boat.

Hope that is more helpful for you.
Thanks
Kirstie

Comments

• So, Geoff, I think you are asking us to sponsor you to ride round for a week in kit that makes you look naked?

Count me in for at least 20 quid!

Daniel
  • and i thought the white kit was special!

I'm with Daniel, sounds great Geoff will there be pictures?... second thoughts, maybe not!

stick me down for a tenner!! quality!!
  • Wehey, Geoff in the buff - £20 from me, and £20 from Malcolm Gammons, though he doesn't know it yet.

Tony
  • £20 from me if you wear the suit on the nearest Sunday club run and lead the pack!

Robbie
  • edited June 2009
    Put me down for a tenner, on the understanding you promise not to wear the kit on one of our club runs, at least not in front of me, white kit was bad enough.
  • thanks guys..i don't think...there was me thinking someone would volunteer to join in...O.K....looks like I'm in the frame...come on the rest of the club..If I'm going to do it and raise some money for the club track I need some more promises.......let's see what transpires....any more offers???Robbie....can't make promises with other peoples kit supply.but if they leave us with it I'll do so after the ride..good enough??
  • well there's £100 promised in 17hrs!! At this rate Geoff, you'll raise ALL the money for the track single handed!!

8-)
  • And £20 from me too Geoff.

Those skin coloured cycle suits sound impressive - they're not to be sniffed at...
  • Put me down for £20.

Adam
  • any more offers........I'm somewhat short still....Thanks to everyone who has supported so far....looks like I'll have to do it, though can't believe they can hope to design a skinsuit which will be o.k. for this type of riding..........
  • £20 for me
    luckily a fair distance away
    good luck

drafting gets a whole new meaning
    well suck my wheel !

James
  • just a reminder.I'm off for a training ride with the charity on Monday around Stratford upon Avon....guess they want to see if we are likely to last the course..hahaha.....expect to get first sight of this awesome skinsuit!!!!!!!!!!!!!.......maybe I'll have time to test it out with the club before I start on 16th.......for details of the ride try their website www.mrtesticles.com

some info. on the reason for the ride...........

Male Cancer Awareness Campaign is a three year old charity which does things differently. The charity focuses purely on awareness and education, as the majority of people who die from cancer a year could be reduced if they recognised and treated symptoms early on. The charity’s activities gave them the privilege to be nominated as Britain’s Most Admired Charity by their peers in the charity sector last year. The charity is run purely by talented and enthusiast volunteers which provides us with invaluable experience and allows them to provide such an admired charity. As a charity, we tackle all male cancer issues; with bowel and prostate cancer being the taboo topic as nobody is talking about it, awareness is needed so much more.
    Last year 76 young men lost their lives to testicular cancer with 1400 new cases being diagnosed; however, 10,000 lost their lives to bowel cancer with 21,617 new cases in men. 10,000 men lose their lives every year to bowel cancer and over 8,000 to prostate cancer yet with education, early detection and early treatment the survival rates could be much higher.
    To help with the fundraising and to raise more awareness of male cancer I will be organising and running this charity’s first cycling event, the east to west challenge. The event will take place between 16th - 22nd August, where 14 volunteers will be cycling from Newcastle to Galway in Ireland, where we have been invited to attend the Lansarmstrong Foundation Global Cancer Summit. The volunteers will be cycling in near naked suits in order to raise awareness for this campaign.
    Our challenge is to find the 14 male volunteers who will be willing to take part in this challenge. The cyclists will be required to cycle on average 80+miles a day in order to make the summit in Ireland. We are asking every volunteer to raise a minimum of £400 for this event to help raise awareness of male cancer across the country.
  • How did the training ride go?
  • ouch!!!!!!!!!!!!!....Aston under edge and other climbs, about 40 miles in 2.5 hrs...the pro rider was stretching riders against strong headwinds and climbs to test abilities.......was fun and a good bunch so hopefully O.K..have my skinsuit now...and done the rounds of Ashwell establishments to raise awareness and sponsors..some success and a lot of laughter.I may have time to ride for half hour on Sunday before going North..........thanks for asking
  • have done the ride...report too big for forum...will get martin to do some whizzy stuff to get it here somehow...cheers everyone who sponsored me........
  • edited August 2009
    Full story here on a club site page. Geoff - if you send me the pics I can put them on there too. Nothing too revealing, eh?!

http://www.ccashwell.com/geoffride.html

Or click the link on the Club's website Welcome page.
  • Congratulations Geoff
    read the website page
    Fabulous achievement in tough conditions
    A great cause too

Well Done
  • who do i make my cheque payable to Geoff? apologies for the delay!!
  • Hi Tim...cheque sent so to me please..thanks
  • payable to who?
  • me Tim.I have cash and cheques to tally.easier for me to make 1 cheque out
  • can I please ask all others who have pledged to do the same ...thanks guys
  • I have a load of cheques for Steve so have popped it in with his :-)