Welcome to the forum

Rapha SuperCross

edited October 2013 in Road Racing
The final round of the Rapha Supercross series took place yesterday at Alexandra Palace. James raced in the U12 race there instead of Mistley for some experience of competing outside the Eastern League (and to save me a fair bit of diesel...)

James snapped his chain not long before his Under 12 race started. Luckily for me Worx Bikes kindly gave me their chain tool - I quickly removed a couple of chain links and re-joined the chain.

The Under 12 course included the "Spiral of Doom" but not the famous "Wall of Foam". Perhaps wisely, the Under 12s weren't given the option of taking the "Tequila Shortcut" either.

James was on the second row of the grid and had a poor start, leaving him already down in 15th place by the first corner. The impending storm meant that the exposed hillside below the pavilion was extremely windy, and a lot of riders visibly faded after a few laps, so James managed to start moving up the field. He fell on an slippery adverse camber at the bottom of a descent and lost some time but no places. He jumped back on and kept picking off riders until he was up into second place with half a lap to go. He couldn't quite catch the leader though so finished in second place, ten seconds down on the winner.

Comments

• Well done James, that's a great result!
  • great result james!
  • Great race James.....Looking more like a pro. every race. A consistent podium place gets noticed.
  • Wow - sounds like an epic race James! And is that pick-and-mix given out as a prize???
  • Well Done James and thanks for the report Mark

Paper
  • Lookin good James. That's a great finish and shows top character. Chapeau!!
  • Well done James, I watched a bit of the race when you were way back and couldn't believe it when you managed to get back up to second.

Unfortunately my son Joseph lasted about 5 seconds in his race, crashing out on the first corner, requiring a trip to the ambulance. He still managed to get his picture in Cycling Weekly, having fun in the foam pit whilst watching my race.
  • Bad luck Joseph - hope he's back in action again very soon.