Welcome to the forum

Olympic Velodrome Club Sessions for all

edited October 2013 in General
To all club members

The Olympic Velodrome will be open from Easter 2014 and they are now taking expressions of interest from clubs & organisations who would like to run sessions at this iconic venue.

Details of the venue are here Olympic Velodrome

The operating organisation is still working on details but CCA would like to pencil in club sessions now as there is there is huge interest already from clubs around the country.

In order not to clash with the many events that members are involved in, weekday evenings look to be the best time for a regular session and 7-9pm has been suggested as a time slot.

Club sessions would be coached and will be suitable for all levels of cyclist. Track bikes will be available for hire. Costs would depend on numbers but look to be good value.

Minimum age for the venue is 12 however younger cyclists who are part of a structured group are allowed at the managers discretion so I suspect minimum age will end up being 10 or 11 for our young but experienced grass track riders.

If you or members of your family are interested please complete this very short questionnaire (3 questions) by Sunday 3rd November so that we can gauge levels of interest.

If you are completing the form for other members of your family then please make a note of this in the comment box.

Click here to take survey

Thanks

Andrew

Comments

• Thanks to those who have already responded - just wanted to give a bit more information for those who are looking for more frequent sessions.

For the younger of us then I am sure that the youth development squads will be making plans to take advantage of this facility.

For individuals outside of these who want to ride more frequently then there will be an accreditation programme (which will also apply to Manchester & Glasgow tracks) and then "drop-in" sessions will be available, it remains to be seen how these will be organised.

The aim of the Club sessions would be to enable those who don't want to or can't make these commitments to get a taste of this fantastic cycling discipline and ride the boards where so many UK medals were won.

Cheers

Andrew
  • Great stuff Andrew - thanks for organising us
  • Thanks all for your responses - 31 in total covering 36 interested.

I have sent off an "expression of interest" form which doesn't commit us to anything but means that we're in the game.

As I hear more from the Velodrome management I'll keep you informed via the forum.

Monthly (or more often) was the strong favourite for frequency - looks like we'll be making a lot of use of this facility.

Monday was the most popular day of the week, followed by Friday; given that the Welwyn track league is on Fridays then certainly for the summer months Monday looks to be the best day for a regular session.

Thanks

Andrew
  • great, thanks Andrew. Lots of interest too. Good stuff
  • Several clubs have been worrying that the lower age limit is 12 years old, but the management has just clarified the position:-

"Just to clarify, to take part in any of our sessions such as tasters, skills sessions and SQTs the minimum age is 12. If they come as part of a club or group booking which you take responsibility for (including coaching) then they can be as young as 9."
  • any news on track time?
  • bringing this back to top....I too would like to know what progress please Andrew/Mark
  • Spoke to Lee Valley again today - they are still working on scheduling and said we should expect to hear from them in the next few days - wouldn't specify when though.

They should also be releasing sessions to the public early in the new year so if you plan on getting accreditation for the track then it's probably worth signing up to their news letter.

I will post when I hear any more.
  • Our session now confirmed - Saturday 24th May, 9-12 in the morning.
    See seperate post - sticky.
  • While booking the Club Session I found out today that first option on individual sessions for the Velodrome will be prioritised for those who have bought taster session gift vouchers.

The taster sessions are also intended to be the first step on the track accreditation process.

They are expecting to start bookings for public sessions 1st week in Feb.