Welcome to the forum

Saturday Youth ride

edited November 2013 in Youth
Rosanna and I are interested in setting up a regular youth cycle with a view to getting everyone out on their bikes now that the grass track sessions are finished. We are thinking that 10am every Saturday would be good and perhaps starting from ours (84 High Street - but at the rear in Bacon's Yard). This would keep things separate from the adults who meet earlier at the Three Tuns.

We need to discuss the need for an adult leader or whether we can keep things very informal. Maybe we could add this to the agenda for the meeting on the 11th. Let me know your thoughts on the subject.

Please forward to anyone else who might be interested.
Thanks
Claire

Comments

• Hi Claire

Sounds like a good idea. The later start suits my son! I'd be happy to help when I can.

Peter
  • Hi Peter
    Who is your son (apologies if I should know this!)
    Claire
  • Hi Claire

Matt. He's done a number of club rides but no grass track.

Peter
  • Hi Claire

Great idea, if you need any help organising let me know

Julie
  • This is a really good initiative Claire. The youth NEED this ride as the club rides are too adult oriented and unsuited to their needs both in age related company and common interests. The distance and speed as well as routes are also not always suited to the younger riders. I must stress that it would be advisable to have a couple of adults with CRB clearance to accompany these rides. The emphasis needs to be on fun and routes selected should always provide a break location at halfway distance. The Wimpole route is perfect for this. My view would be these need to be weekly to get into the habit of riding on a specific day and at a regular time.
    Good luck everyone with this ride.
  • Sounds great Claire and Geoff. If parents are willing to commit to the rides? however who would pay for the DBS enhanced checks??? £60 a pop ain't cheap!

Shelton
  • Hi Claire M

Sophie would love to do a youth ride but I suspect Rosanna may be looking for something faster paced than Sophie would be able to keep up with. We had been looking at joining some of the CTC rides in Stevenage as they do some rides suitable for younger cyclists and are happy to take them along. If there was to be anything in Ashwell then Sundays are the best day for us and either Matt or I could accompany the ride/Sophie, although I struggled to keep up with her last time out.

Claire L
  • Shelton, British Cycling will pay. Mark Wyer organises, so see how many others want/need this and I'm sure he will organise.
    Claire...I think Rosanna does Rugby Sundays, but talk together and see what transpires. Don't worry about the pace. At the start everyone will ride together at the pace of slowest. It is more about getting it going regularly and having fun learning to ride in a group safely. Why not practice as a group on the clubs field . Maybe Tim can organise one of his group riding sessions for the road down there as a starter and then everyone works out routes that would suit and take it from there.
    Good luck everyone. I'm happy to assist when I am down.
  • I am working this sat morning so cant get Sophie and Holly there.
  • don't worry, I'm sure it will come together eventually...just keep trying to sort a ride and just keep talking to each other.....It's more important to have a few each week than everyone every week. Have fun