Welcome to the forum

Bikes for Africa

edited November 2013 in General
We watched a programme the other night that highlighted the challenges that many poor people in Africa face and how easily their lives can be improved by having access to a bike. With the number of bikes sitting in our garage (all essential and each serving a clear purpose, obviously), we felt shamed into donating to this charity (see below), who send bikes to Africa. Albeit we donated money since we have no spare bikes(!), I just wanted to share the name of the charity in case anyone else felt the same way. Given this is time of year for giving and all ...

http://www.re-cycle.org

"In Britain, millions of bikes are thrown away or lie unused in sheds, whilst many people in Africa have no access to transport of any kind. People spend hours each day walking to collect water, firewood or to access health care, school and employment. A bicycle lightens this burden and dramatically improves their wellbeing as well as work and education opportunities helping to bring social change. A bicycle cuts travel time to a fraction and can carry passengers and heavy loads. Bikes give families the extra time to earn, learn and enjoy life."

Comments

• Hi Lindsey
    I watched that programme about population on Thursday, which I found very interesting, particularly the part about the rural farmer from Mozambique. He really needed a bicycle to take his stuff to market, travel to his fields, get him and his wife to their adult education lessons so they could lift themselves out of poverty. He actually said that a house without a bicycle isn’t a home – how many of us feel that way! Anyway, the point is that I like your idea of supporting the charity and wondered if people would be up to donating the price of a drink on club night to Re-cycle to help with the costs of running the charity. No pesky sponsorship, or grand gestures, just a few quid a month (that I’m happy to make sure gets to them) to help people like the farmer, to help themselves to improve their situation. He bought his bike in the end and was clearly delighted.
    Susan
  • i think thats a good idea. i had a look round the garage but only had a small child's bike that their website says they are not interested in.
    most people are probably in a similar position. would be happy to make a small donation as you suggest.
  • Just a reminder about this. If anyone wants to donate to Re-Cycle, I'll put a pot out on a table tomorrow at club night and make sure any donations get to them.
    Thanks, Susan
  • I took a couple of bikes over the the drop off point for this charity and it actually links in with another charity OWL (Papworth Trust). They refurbish bikes to be sold on.

"OWL Bikes provides vocational training for disabled and disadvantaged people. It recycles and refurbishes unwanted bikes to sell to the public at reasonable prices.

Every bike is:

police checked
    fully serviced
    fitted with new or recycled parts
    sold with a 30 day warranty
    Prices start from £55.

OWL Bikes also offers servicing, spares and accessories.

We can arrange to collect unwanted bikes. If a bike is not suitable for refurbishing it is donated to Africa by our partners at Re-Cycle. Bike parts which are not useable are sent for recycling."

They were thrilled with the 2 old Raleigh mountain bikes I took over and will clearly make more use of them than me as they were only collecting dust and filling up the garage.