Welcome to the forum

National Trophy Milton Keynes

edited December 2013 in Road Racing
CCA presence at the National Trophy could be summarised as the Fields and me. Beautiful sunny day belied the nature of the course, which was extremely challenging with lots of climbing, and slippery off-camber descents, linked up with tarmac sections, more than familiar to those of us who have ever raced at the MK Bowl summer races.

Jackie 23rd (4th Vet)
Noah 23rd U14
John Polak 33rd (40-49Vet)

I am hoping the Fields will add an account of their races, so just a quick summary of mine. 66 young Vets lined up, followed by 52 old Vets, starting at an interval of 1 minute, to give us an incentive not to be too tardy. I was gridded on 5th row, together with the likes of Martin Carter, Philip Peacock and Bruce Mackie. Felt like Eastern League race :D

The atmosphere was very different though, with the barriers separating the riders from the crowds, the PA system, and the tension amongst the field was palpable. Once the whistle went though, all the stress was forgotten, and it was back to the regular business of racing.
I got a bit of space ahead of me so moved up a few places, then caught the high line on the first bit of off camber, and was able to move a few more places forward still. Then came the first off camber descent. This was scary sketchy in practice, but in the middle of a closely packed fast moving peloton it was terrifying. Still we got through it somehow, and thereafter it was into oxygen debt and fear of crashing was soon forgotten.

As it happened I think I only crashed once in the 48!! minutes of the 40 minute race, and that was a fairly gentle and painless affair, unlike some of the other crashes, one of which left Greg Simcock lying on the ground in pain for what seemed like ages. I got passed by the leading old Vet (Stephen Davies, who else) about half way into the race, and had the benefit of being on his wheel for a bit. I was gratified to see that he took the technical step section in exactly the same way that I did, and that I was not losing any time to him on this section. The off-camber descents, however, were a different story. This was where I suffered, and I estimate that I lost maybe two minutes to the best guys on these sections over the course of the race. We need more off-camber stuff in the Eastern League to get some practice in!

Having failed to complete my first attempt at a National Trophy earlier this season due to a jammed chain, it was gratifying to complete this one, even though it was just outside the points. As experience gathering goes, I need to consider it a pretty successful day out, and a great building block on the road to the National Champs in Derby in January.

I have some pictures to post, but I need someone to talk me through the process, as I have tried to work it out before but failed miserably.

Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Nice report John. I've not ridden cross in The Bowl but I've arrived at the rim of it and looked down at the sea of demarkation tape and silently mouthed 'Death of the thousand climbs'. Well done for coping with all that off camberness.

Nice consistent Field results too.

Braver than I.

Daniel
  • Actually a Field won the senior men's race and pocketed a tidy £360 for his trouble. Sure we must be related somewhere down the line?

A new experience for all of us today at MK. Never been before and the view from the high point over the whole bowl was very impressive. Yes Daniel a lot of tape. I was pit man for Jackie and Noah which consisted of walking from side to side of the pits offering a bike every time they passed which was never taken. Mainly due to a drying course the tyres never really got blocked enough to warrant a change. It was interesting to see the set up that some have. Bike hangers with water butts attached and petrol driven power washers. I managed to get by with my trusty bucket and stiff brush. Interesting to see how a couple of Welwyn riders entered the pits by crossing the course and coming under the tape. lucky they weren't seen by the pit judges.

Jackie and Noah both enjoyed their race but found it tough on the many off camber bits. Noah enjoyed using my new bike so I think I may have lost that. Having now tried it out they are keen to have another go at Shrewsbury and Derby although the competition is tough.

Watching the senior men in the afternoon was great. The standard is very high. Eastern league winners were well down the rankings although looked to be going well. There was a steep climb through some trees which had 3 large log steps in it. Some of the leading men were riding this.
  • Ha Ha, Noah might have enjoyed but I'm not sure that I did - Stuart wrote that bit without checking first! The Fields (apart from the one that won) were very consistent in 23rd place , however I feel it only fair to point out that Noah was 23 out of 38 and I was 23rd out 25 (which doesn't sound quite so good for me). It was a good experience though (but not exactly enjoyable) and has certainly left me with lots to think about such as should I try and train 3 x a day to get my riding up to scratch, retire completely or just wait a year until I can compete in the super vets! Delighted that it has spurred Noah on to think about entering another, less delighted to think that I should probably accompany him.

Jackie
  • Thanks for the report folks, ive not ridden cross at the bowl but know it well from the road circuit and can imagine that it was a bit up and downy!
    Jackie, you should be proud of that, it was National level and it puts you up there with the best. Im certainly impressed and equally impressed with Noah and Johns results, really , really impressive. well done CCA.

Stuart, i think you may have just lost your new bike and VP there is an image tutorial somewhere but if you just upload your image to something like imageshack, find and copy the direct link code and paste it into the img tab above you should be away.
  • Just to put Ian Field's (Stuart's long lost older child) performance into perspective, Ross Tricker who dominates Eastern League, was lapped by him.
  • And to put *that* into perspective, the excellent Ian Field wasn't far off being lapped by the winner of the World Cup race last weekend... The top riders certainly have astonishing fitness and skill.

Very well done Noah, Jackie and John for all stepping up a level.

P.S. Stuart, don't dwell on losing a nice cyclocross bike to your son - instead, start looking at catalogues for petrol-powered pressure-washers.
  • Nice one John, Jackie and Noah. A great achievement just to be there and racing at this level. I don't know how some of the riders get round these courses so quickly but would like to find out,
  • OK I can post pictures. More to come later.
  • edited December 2013
    I thought I could, but now I cannot get it to work again :(

Here's my Flickr page, have a look:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/92313970@N04/
  • edited December 2013
    Nope, flickr is not compatible with CCA :(
  • edited December 2013
    View an image, click the share icon, click "Grab the HTML/BBCode", choose the 800px wide option, and paste the code:-

MK National Trophy CX 2013 029
  • Okay, so our beloved forum is not the most user friendly for sharing photos, however Flickr is just hostile. Thank you Mark for revealing the secret. It is as if we are not meant to share photos from Flickr!

Daniel
  • edited December 2013
    Thank you Mark!

imageThe Bowl" alt="The Bowl" />
  • N.B. I should have added - click the IMG button in the forum post and paste the Flickr HTML into the form field that pops up, not into the body of the post itself.
  • Glad you got that sorted VP, great pics. Makes the bowl look a bit like telly tubby land!
  • That's just all the cakes I have been eating since the birth of Maud. :D
  • Great, Vamness indeed
  • Some good clips but that man needs to get a tripod.