Welcome to the forum

La Marmotte 2009

edited July 2009 in Sportives
The ride was magnificent; massive in all respects (numbers, climbs, descents and great organisation). The climbs were just incredible in length, pain and beautiful scenery. The Col de Galibier was like cycling to the edge of reality; the gods were angry and thunder cracked like gun shot. (My mind was being messed with.) At least the temperature was okay on Glandon and Galibier. On the Col de Telegraphe it was 43C and Alpe d'Huez was 41C. Thank goodness there was a small breeze on Huez otherwise I would have probably collapsed. The locals were out pouring water on us; very welcome. Bodies lay in the gutters, people sat in streams; I didn't see anyone actually crying though.

On the steep parts of the descents I was scared. Several people did fall off and there was an adequate supply of ambulances attending to their needs. Only when we reached the main road (and a more gentle gradient) could I really let myself fly. Brilliant.

I drank loads, sucked down a massive amount of gel and snacked on dried fruit provided at the feedstation. I didn’t cramp up, which I was pleased about.

I didn’t really know what to expect, but I made an estimate based purely on a climbing rate I did on a col near Marseille in March. I then tried to match this on the day without really bothering about road speed; Col de Glandon and L’Aple d’Huez were within a few minutes of the estimate. I deviated from the estimate by 45 minutes getting over Col de Telegraphe and reaching the summit of the Col de Galibier. The schedule would have bought me gold.

I did well, 9h20 (2274/5295). Frustratingly this was 5 minutes off gold; but I did everything I could. I didn't lose time at the feedstops, I didn't puncture, my bike worked perfectly and I didn't get lost; so no excuses, nothing to blame I was simply not good enough on the day. Next year...............

The tour company was hopeless; I won't waste time and money with them again. Apparently it takes 9 hours to drive from Calais to Alpe d'Huez. I think the best practical option is to fly, hire cars and stay in an hotel. Camping is another option, but then you need more luggage (it is only for two nights). Geneva seems the best served in the summer months by Easyjet (Luton).

Our friend at Beds RC, Ashley Cox, despite being beaten by a girl rode a very impressive time of 7:08 (137/5295). Big respect to Tim Duckett for riding after such a bad previous night; his brother Nick did well too. Nigel ‘The Brave’ (came out on one of the Ashwell 100s) rode a very intelligent ride and wants to carry on cycling, this shows mettle.

I have seen it written that you should ride this event at least once in your cycling career. I agree, it is special and I recommend it.

Comments