Welcome to the forum

National Cyclo-Cross Championships

edited January 2014 in Road Racing
CCA had riders competing at the National Cyclo-Cross Championships for the first time for a few seasons this weekend. The event was based at Moorways Stadium Derby which is where they are going to build the new Derby Velodrome. Like everywhere else in the country at the moment the ground was sodden and muddy.

First up was the new separate Veteran Women's race at 9:30am. Jackie Field was gridded on the front row of the 30 rider field and had a cracking start and led into the first corner. After a couple of slips she settled into mid pack but then started moving forward again as other riders tired. She finished an excellent 9th place.

Noah Field was next in the Under 14's category. The course was much tougher by now for the youngest riders. Even some of the flat sections were too muddy to ride so there was a large amount of running with mud clogged bikes. Noah probably had his best performance of the season finishing 35th.

I reckon the Vets 40+ had the toughest conditions over the two days on Saturday afternoon as things had dried out a bit by today. With nearly 100 starters, they really tore the ground to pieces. John Polak was also riding his first ever National Champs and was a very creditable 60 place.

A big well done to Stuart Field and Daniel Doncaster for sterling work in the pits. As I'm sure Will will be keen to hear, all tubs stayed safely glued on. I've got some video footage and photos which I'll post up soon.

Mark.

Comments

• great results everyone! well done all, you are racing against the best in the country so very tough competition
  • edited January 2014
    well done CCA, awesome performance - riding nationals, how cool/good is that......
  • Amazing work chaps! Riding the nationals with well glued tubs. Absolutely brilliant results!
  • Saw some photos on BC, it looked pretty muddy, nice work guys.
  • A bit breathless still, but just wanted to say a huge thank you to all the CCA supporters and riders who have helped to make this one of the most amazing experiences of my life. A particularly big thank you to my pit crew, Mr. Daniel Doncaster, who made a massive difference, not just to the race itself but my pre-race prep as well.

In the Vets race alone, nearly 30 riders failed to complete the race due to mechanicals. Out of three CCA riders we had three mechanical-free rides, and an enormous thank you goes to the pit guys who kept our bikes going through the toughest mud conditions that I have encountered yet.

On the results side it gets a bit better still, as within our respective age groups, Jackie placed an outstanding 6th, and I was 26th.
  • Wow, that all sounds fantastic and from the pictures i saw it looked awfull conditions.

Absolutley superb results ....and for anyone who didnt quite notice, this was the NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP!! well done riders and helpers.
  • edited January 2014
    nat_champs_2014_vets_women-2

Jackie leading out the womens race
  • well done Jackie, Noah and John and the support crew, inspirational stuff.
    i bumped into John and Daniel at Leicester Forest services on their way back, and amazingly they weren't talking about tubs or glue
    John's commitment to CCA branding was most impressive, and will hopefully show up on some of the photos...
  • Can't fully express how delighted I am to see how CCA is growing and developing with all you keen racers. A massive well done to all who competed in The Nationals as Tim highlighted....simply brilliant.
  • Awesome, Jackie!
  • Indeed really great performances from our riders. This event has even made it to the Guardian web site> LINK I was stuck in't pits all the time so didn't see that puddle Nick Craig is going through!

Daniel
  • Oh yeah the puddle. Right after the starting straight. It was absolute carnage in there when 115 of us hit it at full pelt.
  • edited January 2014
    Some more pics from the many that were taken

National Trophy Derby 2014 130
    National Trophy Derby 2014 126
    National Trophy Derby 2014 124
    National Trophy Derby 2014 123
    National Trophy Derby 2014 119
    National Trophy Derby 2014 060
    National Trophy Derby 2014 036
    11893974936_02085ccfd8_o
    IMG_3418
  • Great pics and loving the new look VP
  • Check this out....the Field family have got one of those new high tech bike cleaning facilities.....

• This is the other sort of bike tub.

I've heard it said that some people remove the bicycle from the tub, fill it with warm water and get into it themselves. What ever next?
  • That surely only could possibly apply to bicycle shaped people Daniel.
  • Some video from the Vets 40+ race.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVM2wt6KN88

Video of the Youth will be posted on youthcyclesport.
  • Nice video Mark. I was in the pits the whole time, so never saw the rest of the course. In many ways glad I didn't; looks really though!

Makes me appreciate the rider's efforts even more. Many congratulations to Noah, John and Jackie.

Daniel
  • Thanks for posting Mark, it's always good to see my efforts from the outside, and realise how pitifully slowly I was going compared to how it felt at the time.

I'm also glad that video gives a bit of flavour of what it was like for the pit crews. Every bike change, they had to run (well, slither) through a crowd of other pit crew, quite a long and exceptionally muddy distance to the bike washing area, all the time negotiating their way around other pit crew trying to do the same thing, identify their cleaning implements, often getting buried under mud, clean the bike as best they could and get back to the pits in time for their rider to come expecting another shiny clean bike.

When we recced the layout, we agreed that it would be impossible to clean bikes with any greater frequency than once per lap. On second lap I gasped at Daniel, ''next bike in half''. Without blinking an eye, he somehow produced pristine bikes in half the time we expected. Chapeau. Hats off to him and all the other pit crew there at the weekend.
  • I would like to point out that I did not actually clean the bike in the Premier Inn bath. The Sainsbury Jet wash was the new keeper of all the mud. That was just the best place to store the bike. We were in a family room which was not very big and did not fancy leaving the pride and joy locked to the car all night. Those tubs are just not used to be treated so harshly.

Good video Mark. Interesting to see all the different approaches to each section. Watched a video of Helen Wyman - very efficient at moving through the mud and she got off at all the right places for a smooth transition through the unridable bits
  • quality dismount by number 10 at 6.15 - one to practice!!
  • anyone seen the BC video of the nationals?