Welcome to the forum

Garmin Edge 800

edited January 2014 in General
Just waiting for delivery of my 3rd garmin in under two years! same fault, cannot locate satellites and then shuts down. tried all the usual re boots and checking software etc.

anyone else having problems with these??

Comments

• Mine sometimes doesn't connect for the best part of a ride (by which time I've given up with it) but to be honest it has only happened a few times. I am noticing sometimes it takes a few minutes to find satellites now though, a reboot usually sorts it out. It used to connect in seconds. (Edge 200)
  • Had an edge 705 that used to shut down randomly, but not often, also used to read spurious heart rate values 220+ (cured mysteriously by covering the HR monitor from the wind with my hand)

Now using an edge 510, no complaints except that it finds satellites very quickly and then annoyingly puts an on screen prompt to the effect that has to be acknowledged before you can see the information you want.

Sounds like you've been unlucky or you live in a satellite black spot?
  • I had an 800 up til a week ago, its now somewhere on the Baldock road if anybody spots it along with my water bottle?? (while loading cross bike onto bike rack left garmin ON roof, then drove off.... DOH!!!)

but yes, mine used to do that occasionally but always eventually worked.
  • Did that with my 705 Tim - stopped my car just in time to see it being run over by the next two cars - luckily the 800's were just out so had to upgrade:}

On the subject of the 800 have had it now for nearly three years with very few problems - though I find the OSM mapping seems to work better than the maps that I paid for.
  • My 500 plays up when the memory starts filling up. download and then deleting history usually sorts it.

Stuart
  • I always turn mine on a few minutes before I start riding (Edge 800) so it's got a fix on satellites while it's stationery. Occasionally I forget to do this and it sulks a bit, but I've never had a problem with it shutting down.

I find Ordnance Survey maps great for hiking, but it's far too much info on my screen for navigating whilst concentrating on the road. Open Source Mapping is plenty
  • Thanks for the replies. looks like i've been unlucky! maybe 3rd time lucky.

when it works its very good, when it lets you down...............

will see how the "new" one goes
  • good news Andrew! home insurance covers twats who store their garmin's on car roof tops :-)

nice new 810 on my desk as i type :-))))
  • CAN YOU ADAM AND EVE IT... I have only gone and done it again!!!! I even took the bloody thing off the roof and said to Henry, haha, not going to do that again.... Then put it back on the roof to find my car keys. Then drove off.... At least this time I got to see the car behind drive over it !!!!

Dear Santa,

May I have another Garmin please?

What an idiot!!!!!

Me, not Santa!!
  • VicVic
    edited December 2014
    A few months ago I managed to drive from Ashwell to Guiden Morden before I realised that I'd left my Samsung S4 on the roof of my car after a Wednesday ride!

Imagine my surprise and relief when I stopped and it was still on the roof.
    I would like to put this down to my ultra-smooth driving, but think that it had more to do with the grippy silicon case that protects my phone.

Lesson learned, I now check my roof thoroughly before setting off after a ride.

Commiserations, it's easily done.
  • With the Edge 1000 being out I thought that might happen to me again Tim;-)
  • edited December 2014
    Unless you need all the training gizmos, and HR widgets, is there any need for anything beyond the standard T which links a comparison with the 800.

As much as I fancied the 800 when I bought mine back in May, once I'd digested the details, most of the "stuff" was just that, "stuff" I'd honestly never need, and that was not worth an extra £100. I don't own a car, so leaving it on the roof is one less thing to tax my mind I guess!

It reminds me: in A Fish Called Wanda, when John Cleese drives off with his briefcase on the roof of his Jag' - if you've ever seen the film.
  • just looking at the 1000 now ... cant see much for your extra £100 apart from the wifi

difference between 810 and the Touring, agreed lots of gizmos, but i do tend (did) tend to use them... also it says the 810 is 'shock proof' hahahahahaha ooooh no its not!

admittedly a car driving over it is quite a big shock
  • edited December 2014
    Tim, I use the 1000, after owning the 705, 810 and now the 1000, the large screen is very useful, it's quite a bit shaper than the 810, locating satellites etc only takes seconds.... The live track is a great feature too, a friend of mine also bought the Di2 attachment too so it shows your current gear selection too, it's all displayed on the screen... It really is a nice piece of kit + the new sensors are a lot easier to use / attach too.. I'm more than happy with my 1000 ;-) if that's any help ;-)
  • Hi Nige,

how's it going?

yes that is very helpful as I'm reading really mixed reviews about it. seems it had a lot of software glitches to start with but am assuming they have been fixed. what about battery life? that seems to have been a problem ?

really torn between devil i know (810) and this new beast?

insurance have coughed up so am itching to get my new toy :-)
  • edited December 2014
    I started out with an Edge 200, maybe 10 (?) yrs ago, liked the facilities, then one by one, never used them! Also, I have a Polar 720i cycling watch - it's sitting in a box with all the cadence gear, having not seen daylight in years.

So when it came time for me to look at another device this year, the Touring was all I actually need, though I can see the attraction still of lots of options in a unit that is "only" £100 more - in fact there's a Touring Plus, but it gives me things I do not value.

So good (and satisfying) to be at the stage now where I know my-own-self well enough such that I can see clearly that many of the functions, in all honesty, I simply won't ever use. Shame I can't apply the same principles in the rest of my life!

PS - the Touring never hesitates finding satellites, unless you're inside.
  • Garmin 1000 - BOOM!

Charging as i type whoopppeee

:-)

and £50 worth of Evans vouchers to boot ... nice!

just looking for the app that helps you up the hills though??
  • ho ho ho
  • Nice one, I'm sure you won't be disappointed !! Battery life is ok, not great if your riding 12hrs plus but loads of options to minimise batt usage ;-)
  • I have nothing to add as I don't own a gadget. But a most interesting read. skelders your tale of multiple mishaps with your Garmin, resolved by simply going out and buying another and another made me chuckle. I am sure you won't do it again ( my fingers are crossed).

So which Garmin should I buy? Is there one that has a feature that stops it being left on a car roof?