Welcome to the forum

Hog hill 25th Jan

edited January 2014 in Road Racing
This was our first race of the season and it’s fair to say we were pretty excited. I’m not sure how the youth did but I know Gareth finished pretty high up in his race. Daniel made a solid debut in the 4ths race but unfortunately I didn’t see much. Jon, Cam, Bryn, Pedder, Neil and I lined up and set off in the 2/3s race. Unfortunately it wasn’t long before our first mishap; Bryn was having trouble I’m so used to at Hog hill, so he had to drop back due to illness. Pedder was next to suffering misfortune, this time with a puncture. Although Jon was on great form his asthma/breathing was giving him trouble and cost him the race. It had been a while now and still nobody had successfully broken away, this was mainly due to the winner of the last 2 races: Gunther, he was a marked man so found it hard to get any space. I was keeping myself at the front waiting for the winning break. I had my eye on a guy from Cambridge, who was itching to get away. He attacked on the hill but no one responded and he didn’t have the strength to hold it on his own. I knew that once he was caught there would be a counter attacked, so I prepared for that. Sure enough the next lap up the Hill Gunther puts on the gas. I wasn’t in great position but I had to go. I leapt up to his wheel and sat on. We had a few more people join us and began to work well together. Back in the peloton Cam was staying at the front controlling the pace making sure nobody attacked. I felt pretty strong and I knew I had a good chance for the win. About 2 laps to go just after the hill I dropped the ball. Cambridge dude and Gunther attacked but I was in the little ring and spun out straight away. I franticly tried to chase back. They had pulled away a bit of a lead now but the two remaining breakaway riders where just ahead of me, one of whom (Lewis) I knew from youth. I caught up to them and had a chance to go after the leaders but I would have burnt out and dropped back. All I had to do now was out sprint two people to come third. I was leading out slow up the hill in a classic match sprint style finish. Lewis came up round me but I could match his speed. We were neck and neck until around 30 metres. He stopped accelerating and I carried on.
Apart from all the misfortune it wasn’t a bad first race. Well done to all those who participated as well as the youth.

Stay tuned for a short video.

Comments

• Race report can be found here on the East London Velo website.
  • Photos from Stewart

• that's a cracking line up...well done .....sorry for those not on top form at present, but great to see how well you support eachother
  • With warmer and drier conditions I’m sure that we'll get a lot more finishers, but the race still went to plan with Theo in a break and cam controlling the pack even with 2 finishers. In many ways that is why cycling is such a great spectators sport as there are so many variables with can change the result of the race.
    Neil was unfortunate that he must have got a puncture right at the top of the hill going down the hill, and Pedder was unknown about Cameron and mine spare wheels which all have the same cassettes on. Bryn has had just an off day, but he pushed himself to be sick. I believe because I was thinking quite a lot as it was the first race of the season that I forgot about the breathing techniques which I was meant to be doing so got the usual symptoms as usual, could possibly be due to the cold dry air which irritates my throat. I will all should be racing next week and hopefully have a few less problems

Jon
  • well done gang and a great start Theo. Love the roller pic too. one for the club dinner.
  • Blimey, that was a faff! These are the results I could find. Sorry if I've missed anyone.
    U10
    Mark Lightfoot 7th
    U12 (girls)
    Harley Pell 1st
    U12 (boys)
    Adam Lightfoot 8th

Well done to all, especially Harley.

I know Gareth was racing too because I had a good chat with him as he was leaving.

Daniel
  • Well done all the junior/senior riders. A 2/3 category race at Hog Hill is no easy ride. There was an excellent showing from CCA in the morning's youth races too:-

UNDER 10
    I wasn't able to watch the race but I know that Mark Lightfoot had an excellent debut as an Under 10 to finish in 7th place against a strong field containing a couple of national standard riders. He tried so hard that he felt quite unwell afterwards.

UNDER 12
    There was a big field of 50 riders, and in typical youth racing fashion the pace was flat out right from the gun. A lead group of twelve riders containing Adam and James (riding his first Under 12 circuit race) formed after a couple of laps, with Harley working hard in a chase group a little further back. Adam made a couple of strong digs to test the strength of the lead group. With two laps to go, the lead group splintered after attacks from Chelmer & Welwyn riders. James and Adam then worked well together with a rider from another club. On the last lap the race was sent up the big hill towards the top circuit and then up the alpine section up to the finish line.

On the climb James got a slight gap on his two partners and held on to finish 6th, with Adam close behind in 8th place. Harley came in around a minute later to finish as the first placed girl.

I was sent a link to this video which shows how fast Under 12s are:-

James: http://youtu.be/nJ5wb-aUvVs?t=28s
    James & Adam: http://youtu.be/nJ5wb-aUvVs?t=47s
    Harley: http://youtu.be/nJ5wb-aUvVs?t=4m55s
    Harley: http://youtu.be/nJ5wb-aUvVs?t=11m57s

UNDER 14
    I left before the race finished but Gareth was looking strong in the first few laps that I saw. I'm hoping he'll be along soon to tell us himself how the race unfolded.
  • this is like formula 1 all this onboard video
  • Well done to all CCA starters and congratulations to points scorers...so great to see !
  • well done everyone, love the photos and videos. fantastic.
  • who was doing the filming? another U12 or more likely an adult or older rider given permission to film the race.
  • Geoff, it is self evident that the filming was done by another competitor in the race. As this was an U12 race this was clearly not an adult.
  • It was Rosie Dias with a bar mounted Go Pro ;-) Come on Geoff did you really think that an adult could keep up with the under 12's :-)

Shelton
  • Hi all,

My race (U14) started down at the bottom circuit - which is unsual, the reason was as it was damp, we usually start at the top and fly madly into the first corner, which I dread! So I was happy to know we had a slight rolling start at the bottom! First few laps I worked well in a group of 3, one rider went off and attacked up the hill me and a MK rider decieded not to respond to his attack. Thankfullt as it was getting quite hard, working in a 2, the main bunch caught up with us. As soon as they caught up, one of the riders from the bunch made an attack, I went with him and 2 other riders. We worked all the way to the finish, taking turns. The hill was getting harder everytime, overall we went up it 8 times! On the last hill, I made my attack and managed to get 3 riders at the finish (one being the rider who attacked early on in the race). I was 13th out of 40 riders which I'm pretty happy with, considering it's the start of the season!

Well done to Mark, Adam, James and Harley + the juniors who raced later on too!
    Gareth :)
  • nah. Shelton...you're right. Not a chance. Just thought it would be great pro-mo for the race but important to not mix in and give any draughting advantage to those trying to close on front runners....should have thought more :-) great riding and racing...Harley showed a good racing head with her pacing where-as some of the lads in that group were more on off in pace.
  • edited January 2014
    There's a great write up on VeloUK - http://www.velouk.net/2014/01/26/reportresults-east-london-velo-234-race/

Some great pics there too...
  • edited January 2014
    I like this photo. Theo is sprinting to the line to beat Lewis Bulley, in the background you can see Lewis' brother holding his head in desperation. If you look closely you can also see some idiot in a CCA cap grinning from ear to ear!
    Theo sprints for the line