Welcome to the forum

ELV round 6 - Hog Hill

edited February 2014 in Road Racing
The final race in East London Velo’s ‘6 days of Winter’ took place today at Hog Hill. The weather forecast was for strong winds and showers; and this is exactly what we got. Due to the high winds the usual direction was reversed, meaning the much feared steep ascent now became a bullet fast descent. Near the bottom of this hill the strong wind blew right across the path and gave rise to very tricky conditions. Several people were swept off course into the mercifully soft mud. The course also included ‘The Alpine bends’ section in the upper part which are not always included.

Sadly Jon was one of the cross wind victims, a double shame as he was going very well his week. Bruised and grazed he seems okay, but I dare say will be sore for a bit. Theo and Cameron were our other riders maintaining good positions in the pack. A break went which Theo was able to go with. Cameron eventually bridged to this. This group enlarged and shrank a bit as the race progressed through sun and shower.

From this select group the series leaders unleashed a high pace assault to clinch the race. Only good CCA friend George Wood was able to chase this down, heroically managing this after a several lap solo effort. The chase group was now whittled down to just Theo, Cameron and one other. A chain problem meant Cameron had to chase back on, again. So at the bell lap Theo and Cameron could be seen to confer and clearly a plan was hatched. Sure enough before the final twisting climb Cameron launched his attach with Theo keeping up a rear guard. Cameron crossed the line 4th and Theo 5th.

So the series ends with Theo ends taking 5th* overall for CC Ashwell, which is a fine achievement and one which reflects our strong team and effective teamwork.

* 17/2/14 Theo was awarded 4th place on Saturday but the organisers have revised the result to 5th. Never the less a good result considering our lads only did 4 of the 6 races.

Comments

• Really great!! CCA boys looking classy in those pics... Now that is a race face Cameron!
    Well done all and great consistency from Theo... Shame about coming off Jon but it sounds like
    you were going well.... Nice write up .. Am looking forward to more installments this season.
  • Well done lads, gutted I couldn't make the last one.
    Looking forward to plenty more races with you guys this season :-)
  • well done to cam and theo, for me i did a extra long warm up to make sure i was well and truly warmed up. but we were waiting an extra 5 minutes for a comasaire to turn up, so we were all getting colder by the inute-this didn't help me. then it started it was like a youth race start, everyone went berlistic and i was cold so i fell out the bunch then started to warm upwhen i was chasing down the bunch, at first it was about 30 secounds up the road then i got it down to 10 seconds, realising that i was close and i was making time up around the corners and everywhere else, i was pushing it, perhaps too much. i went down the hill then looking for exit of the corner having already decided my speed into the corner, then i got a gust of wind and crashed.obviously gutted that i crashed, but also happy that i have more or less sorted out my asthma and i am looking forward to the training camp and some propper road races.
  • edited February 2014
    Good luck, Jon, with getting on top of your breathing problem.
    Your body is the most amazing machine that you'll ever own - and it's up to you to work out how to get the best out of it. Don't ever give up on that :)
  • Thanks jane, I don't surpose I will;)
  • not looking so FOTB there, cam...
  • Great stuff lads, keep the reports and pics coming!
  • Excellent work guys. Great results.

Thanks for the Report and photo's